help me save blow mold metal molds

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time blow mold and vintage Christmas collector, but new to your group. I recently bought a metal mold to make a new reproduction the Old Empire - Elf sitting on Snowball blow mold. I sadly found it had been bought by a scrap yard I assume for the metal. As we know this was normal when many Blow Mold companies went bankrupt. I have contacted Cado and Christmaslightscreations.com that has some Grand Venture molds about taking the next step to actually create a new version with new paint, as not to be confused with the originals. Does anyone know of other companies that still makes blow molds with paint in the USA? I would like to Crowd Fund the making of a short run for fellow collectors like you. I hope to take any profits to rescue other molds from being eventually destroyed.

Sorry for being so long winded but I respect your knowledge. 

Thank you,

RICH - SOB - Save Our Blow molds

1041642945_Empire14elfver1.jpg.b2008fe951c72867cf7fc7a8d2c33083.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - Cado has returned my emails but what i did not know is the mold did not have the paint masks. I could not get any more than an estimate of $5,000 for 4 color masks. I thought that sounded high but researched on this site and found the masks were made of steel.

I am waiting for a reply from Christmaslightscreations.com but only contacted them a few days ago. Please spread the word about the project and i'll update any news here and on a facebook page that i am creating now.

There are about 7 more molds left that seem like they were formerly Empire or Bayshore. The problem is they are priced at $3,000 each. That is for table top size. So you can see why I would like to Crowd fund this to spread out the costs over a group.

I bought it because I always loved the original lamp and didn't want to see the history scrapped. I figured I would hold it and see what the future might bring. I also enjoy industrial history so I wanted to display it. I didn't have the opp for the post and yes it is the same piece for the animated santa. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, SOB save our blow molds said:

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time blow mold and vintage Christmas collector, but new to your group. I recently bought a metal mold to make a new reproduction the Old Empire - Elf sitting on Snowball blow mold. I sadly found it had been bought by a scrap yard I assume for the metal. As we know this was normal when many Blow Mold companies went bankrupt. I have contacted Cado and Christmaslightscreations.com that has some Grand Venture molds about taking the next step to actually create a new version with new paint, as not to be confused with the originals. Does anyone know of other companies that still makes blow molds with paint in the USA? I would like to Crowd Fund the making of a short run for fellow collectors like you. I hope to take any profits to rescue other molds from being eventually destroyed.

Thank you,

Rich:  WELCOME to Planet Christmas and especially to the blowmolds forum!  I'm glad somebody's working on this.  I would like to offer a suggestion.  If you are thinking of trying to make a "short run" for collectors then I would not worry about painting or masks at this time.  We collectors/displayers would be happy to buy them unpainted and do our own painting.  (If you browse around the blowmold forum here you can see many examples of painting 'molds.)  Christmas Lights Creations owns a couple molds (maybe more?) and the last time I checked their website they were selling them unpainted so it is a viable option.   It would also make the blowmolds more affordable for people to buy.  I think it would be much better to focus on buying (saving!) the old molds while they still exist rather than spending money on having paint masks made. 

TED

Edited by TED
to prepare for paint!
  • Like 1

Thank you for the new input. I have seen a few Christmas molds being re-imagined by painting them as great new Halloween themes. You make a great point in allowing the buyer to use there own ideas on how to finish/ paint  the blow mold. If I were going to have them painted (maybe in the future) I wanted to start with a boy (ice blue) and girl (red and pink). Also I thought of a Halloween version dressed in black and orange with the snowball he sits on as a jack o lantern (paint the circle snowball orange with a JOL face).  I saw this clear plastic TPI BEAR blow mold online being sold and thought this may work as another way to produce this elf on snowball blow mold. I think with the right lighting as Howard Family mentioned it could look like an ice sculpture lit with white and blue lights from underneath or behind.

1239743526_ClearTPIbear.thumb.jpg.7f6ad8a99f22822f04e7de48d8ae7d9f.jpg1064071573_Empire14elfver1.jpg.9316337be101b3fb101b2480f9fa9aab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this post. I have my blow mold sample at a metal mask makers to get a price for 4 color masks. please also join my new facebook group called Let's save vintage blow molds. Please join when you have a moment.

Thank you for the new input. I have seen a few Christmas molds being re-imagined by painting them as great new Halloween themes. You make a great point in allowing the buyer to use there own ideas on how to finish/ paint  the blow mold. If I were going to have them painted (maybe in the future) I wanted to start with a boy (ice blue) and girl (red and pink). Also I thought of a Halloween version dressed in black and orange with the snowball he sits on as a jack o lantern (paint the circle snowball orange with a JOL face).  I saw this clear plastic TPI BEAR blow mold online being sold and thought this may work as another way to produce this elf on snowball blow mold. I think with the right lighting as Howard Family mentioned it could look like an ice sculpture lit with white and blue lights from underneath or behind.

1239743526_ClearTPIbear.thumb.jpg.7f6ad8a99f22822f04e7de48d8ae7d9f.jpg1064071573_Empire14elfver1.jpg.9316337be101b3fb101b2480f9fa9aab.jpg

On 8/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, SOB save our blow molds said:

I like the Halloween idea.  It could be a goblin or something similar rather than an Elf.

I've seen some of those TPI "Ice " 'molds in person.  They really just look terrible.  You can't see any of the features and there's a severe hot spot where the light bulb is.  Putting in a colored bulb might help but when I see ice molds I just think, "Hey it's ready for paint!"  In my opinion a white plastic (as is typical for most 'molds), or an opaque plastic (like a milk jug) would be much better.

TED

That is a great point on the clear blow mold. just to update i started a facebook page called - Let's save vintage bloe molds Please join! thanks for the constant knowledge you and others are willing to impart. i have my blow mold sample at a paint mask makers for pricing. also a blow mold maker for a price to create un painted and or painted finished product. we really need to bring back production to the USA,

• 2 months later...

Any update? I would be fine with unpainted molds I have purchased  some for Christmaslightscrration. And I did not mind painting them I did my own colors. Also the Noel lamp is so cool and could be wall mounted or post or maybe hung up.

The guy at CLC would not tell me were his were made but I think they were made at Cado because the plastic has the same issues. Both have a tan tint when lit. 

9A4116E7-83A8-44FF-B420-ED93B666C2B6.jpeg

DD72F8B4-8D01-4DCC-BDCE-CC13A70112B8.jpeg

UPDATE! I have not really had any luck and did not want to waste anyones time with no news.  I had spent many months of calls and emails to American companies that make various kinds of blow molded products. Many said they may be able to make the plastic blow mold but none can do the finishing/ painting. It seems to be a lost art. But strangely through a random conversation I was pointed to a company only a half hour away that makes blow mold products. Right now, not our kind of blow molds. They do have a company that handles the painting part and do a wonderful job. They have my metal mold for the Empire elf and need some time to see if it can be retrofitted to fit their machine. I am hoping for the best and will let everyone know the outcome. Thanks for your time and I'll keep everyone updated. Even if it doesn't work I am still determined to make this happen. I did start a facebook group called Let's Save Vintage Blow Molds or copy and paste - https://www.facebook.com/groups/683664532476082  It has at least 400 plus members and growing. I hope you and everyone on the post will join.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw this today it looks like the elf you have mold to.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, SOB save our blow molds said:

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

1041642945_Empire14elfver1.jpg.b2008fe951c72867cf7fc7a8d2c33083.jpg

55D8E3F3-8ACE-45C2-AE18-617D664C416D.png

Yes, that is the same little guy. I own one but paid up at $99 which was the going rate just a few months ago. They are out there but considered rare. The mold is from the 60's so getting harder to find. I hope to be able to offer it to all collectors for a lot less. There is always a place and price to own an original but I feel everyone that wants to own it should be able to. still waiting on on a local company to see if their blow mold machine can fit my metal mold. Thanks for showing him to me.