PlanetChristmas shifting away from forums?

Chuck,

Thank you for admitting me to the group. Being my first post I want to thank you for making available what sounds like a treasure trove of information and experience from a large group of folks. I really look forward to diving in here in the coming months.  I’ve wanted to do a front yard light display for a long time; to include an fm transmitter and music synchronized light strings. I want to start with white lights synced to an orchestration of a portion(s) of Handel’s Messiah.  Not having yet looked, but just imagining from a few things I’ve read in this post, I will find many ideas and suggestions within this forum to assist in this project. I hope, as well, that I may have some things to share with the group as this project develops.  For your information, I don’t do Facebook; not my style.  A forum style is much more conducive to sharing of ideas and information. I’m so looking forward to getting started. Again, thank you, Chuck, for making this website available.  Best regards. 

As has been said above.  Remembered user name and password from registering a few years ago.  Don't post much, but have used the forums for information to help with the display and would really miss being able to come here.  Don't use facebook or any other social media.

I agree the forums should be kept

As a person who has used forums for a long time, as well as someone who uses social media - I almost NEVER bother looking for any type of information on Facebook.  The fact that it is come as you go and you will not know who you are getting information from (at least forums you can tell who has been around long enough and see a reputation to build off of). 

Also helpful is when new product does arrive and people share the news and reviews here 

Oddly, I do use social media to make purchases when people are selling items (Facebook Marketplace, Instagram, etc) 

• 1 month later...

I been on planet Christmas since the beginning and one of the original members I would love to keep planet Christmas on here I hope you just keep improving it with help with membrrs

• Like 1

PC was one of my first must stop by spots in the early years of my lighting hobby. I am also saddened that the forum activity has decreased over the years because it seems that the lighting community is growing at such a high rate these days that I feel there is still a need. How many times a day do you see the same “Hi, I new to this, how do Ibget started?” Posts in the different Facebook groups? The page I visited most here was the vendors page so I could explore who was selling what. With explosion of pixels of the last few years, I feel there  are many more to be added. I wonder if PC could be reborn into the “one stop shop” for Christmas display info like it once was? If that were possible, I think the next question would be how do we get that information out there?

I understand the challenges and commend you on the years of service you have provided our community Chuck!

It's sad that Facebook has become the "go to" place.  Yes, it's convienient, but unfortunetely, it's meant mostly for point in time discussion for the here and now, and not really very functional to go back and research old topics.  The search engine and organization ability of the platform for old content truly sucks.  Forums such as this are wonderful tools for looking back on what was, but now they are mostly frozen in time.

What's happening on Facebook now is almost impossible to go back and find even a couple days later.

If you decide to shut the forums down, I hope you'll at least keep them read only.  When I google search old Christmas stuff, this place often shows up in the responses and I end up here for part of my answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally this is the only place i've been able to come to for genuine facts,info and some tips that i never knew about.  I like being able to know that if I have a question that it will be answered properly. What I don't like is going to places like Facebook and all you get is millennial's or rich Karen's that don't know anything there talking about. EX: Our town (capitol city) had a Facebook group for Christmas displays so people had something to look at "in these hard times"  and I couldn't get over how many people would cry on there about there blow molds getting stolen but yet they did nothing to secure them down. A woman started a go fund me because her large Empire Santa was stolen out of her yard. It was literally 2 ft away from the sidewalk and just sitting there. No ropes,stakes,sandbags or anything. If it meant so much to you then why did you put no effort into securing it? Anyways she raised almost $500 and purchased a crappy Cado (formally Union products) blow mold Santa from Menards.  This just goes to show how ignorant most people are at decorating and that's why I hope this group stays up and relevant so people who actually have knowledge and experience can spread it with others like themselves instead of being stuck in a sea of under educated people lol.

• Like 2

After much consideration, I've come to the conclusion the PlanetChristmas forums will be around as long as I am.

I ventured over into the world of Facebook.  Good gosh... what a black hole of time.  It's so easy get get distracted.  I found the never-ending ads especially irritating. 

Sometimes the latest is not the greatest.

Maybe the new Planet Christmas tag line should be: "Say hello to the gold old days!"  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2