Best LED flame bulbs?

Hi all, I am in the process of converting my display to LED. ( I know I'm a little behind the game here.) I was thinking of trying to use some of those natural flame look bulbs in my blow mold candles. Does anyone have experience with this? C7 base, LED, wont overheat, outdoor safe and okay for enclosed spaces.

Thanks!

Here is an online review that may help.   https://thez7.com/best-led-flame-bulb/  The first question that comes to mind is, "will the bulb fit in the opening between the base and the bulb".   Most of the ones rated best in the article above will not fit the opening and use an E27 base.  Before you buy any bulb you could test the opening with a standard candelabra bulb.  I'd buy one of the candelabra type bulbs at my local dollar store to test whether or not they can go through the opening so you don't waste money on bulbs that don't fit.  They all seem to have about the same dimensions for the candelabra shaped bulbs.

I don't know how many candles you have to convert but this can get very expensive if more than one or two.   I recently acquired two more candles that were made by TPI.  I converted them to 12V DC LED using 5W, 48 LED G4 corn bulbs for about $1.50 each for the bulb and the G4 base.  The opening in the flame is 1 inch diameter.  LED bulbs do not give off enough heat to damage the blow mold so you can use much brighter lights than you would with a standard incandescent bulb. 

I went back into the internet and looked to see what might be available that would fit.  It turns out that there are some that run on 8-30V so are suitable for 12V DC with a G4 base.  They are not as bright as the ones recommended - 36 LED, 2W, 220 lumens.  They are a lot less expensive than the ones on Amazon that run on 120VAC.  If you have a 12V DC power source (discarded wall converter) it might be worth trying one a $2.50 each.  It probably will take 3 weeks to get your package from China.  Some sellers are putting out very long shipping times but the stuff I order seems to come in a reasonable time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-Flicker-Flame-Light-12V-2W-LED-Burning-Light-Bulb-Lamp-Effect-Fire-Decor-L2P6/254482503280?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b4056d670:g:L7cAAOSwCDxeH1p-&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrDx%2B2NLp21dg6hHbHAkGMUrkzB7hCKYbamTPcLxwbScOrEEqt1TnESzUeWfYD9I4qGDGm%2FnMxztP6X2ug0jV%2Bf%2BsZBqWOVASf7isEM%2Fq8Bg926WTxy8ivJmFh4yJhaB2EViBlxETbAaY1nSbB83Mzzc7zsNSgyrsIn06U2Jwj%2BhPpvPh4ZBUlurnRvcAy3gqsTsn1S2U%2FQJNkRUbHkUDEYE0TGwdb3mbSyte9Fpa2CTMr5we3TVWUp251oQC%2Fsl5G8hwbT069u5yz7oueMKCTKIT8Q8lPqhBd2ph4qrilDvoTW478WVRoWEFteCcU8SvtNNpM%2Fs2oeHfWuED1I332rlCAGH%2B2NJhWtp%2F9qrccf%2BIgzdQ6xSIvmH8AONgYBiE3sO0lScYabHssxXNLuLSb9H7nRAvkBvM4K0aBMsk7pv6SLjL2bgpPTk4walHgo9c2j%2FxcMNIeY57u4qXBzi9Q7dp5LoU%2FWxC05LMwrruFYq6jgHubloj8hEGxQbsMLJ8FK8FPw9dqUwCF15iyMxtO%2FkYystrJecdWVi11ZctKVUbnsoNQxofNluw0p5CvL4kBSJSNIdy4NGQP9hrTsi%2FsglvMERsexuEFph5TfqE7nkI4MrB1rdscQkrJQOkC2A33WPWjjwCkWSs36cLYAtTElMDGEkNjE%2FfB88DjHkPqdr3WYuV%2F1yd6p%2FA%2BQ2FHnWt5ipUDOctDAKTU%2BWQe4H5KeZguoTrfk3ECDvru2s7gNvL7lmjAipkMxOX3x0oXMUHOnytatqiKm%2FnMhdDU1K1Iw%3D%3D|cksum%3A254482503280d1886ddc469c41c9bc958498dad693ac|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

18 hours ago, labnerd92 said:

Hi all, I am in the process of converting my display to LED. ( I know I'm a little behind the game here.) I was thinking of trying to use some of those natural flame look bulbs in my blow mold candles. Does anyone have experience with this? C7 base, LED, wont overheat, outdoor safe and okay for enclosed spaces.

Thanks!

There have been a few discussions about this.  I went through some of the old posts and found the one below.  I know there are others if you want to take the time to search.  (The actual search feature was not very helpful.)

16 hours ago, slankard said:

Congratulations on the switch.  I think you’ll love the look and the power savings.  I’d love to see you’re display if you wouldn’t mind posting when you’re done.

Meh....there's good and bad to switching.

13 hours ago, Rich in Las Vegas said:

I went back into the internet and looked to see what might be available that would fit.  It turns out that there are some that run on 8-30V so are suitable for 12V DC with a G4 base.  They are not as bright as the ones recommended - 36 LED, 2W, 220 lumens.  They are a lot less expensive than the ones on Amazon that run on 120VAC.  If you have a 12V DC power source (discarded wall converter) it might be worth trying one a $2.50 each.  It probably will take 3 weeks to get your package from China.  Some sellers are putting out very long shipping times but the stuff I order seems to come in a reasonable time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-Flicker-Flame-Light-12V-2W-LED-Burning-Light-Bulb-Lamp-Effect-Fire-Decor-L2P6/254482503280?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b4056d670:g:L7cAAOSwCDxeH1p-&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrDx%2B2NLp21dg6hHbHAkGMUrkzB7hCKYbamTPcLxwbScOrEEqt1TnESzUeWfYD9I4qGDGm%2FnMxztP6X2ug0jV%2Bf%2BsZBqWOVASf7isEM%2Fq8Bg926WTxy8ivJmFh4yJhaB2EViBlxETbAaY1nSbB83Mzzc7zsNSgyrsIn06U2Jwj%2BhPpvPh4ZBUlurnRvcAy3gqsTsn1S2U%2FQJNkRUbHkUDEYE0TGwdb3mbSyte9Fpa2CTMr5we3TVWUp251oQC%2Fsl5G8hwbT069u5yz7oueMKCTKIT8Q8lPqhBd2ph4qrilDvoTW478WVRoWEFteCcU8SvtNNpM%2Fs2oeHfWuED1I332rlCAGH%2B2NJhWtp%2F9qrccf%2BIgzdQ6xSIvmH8AONgYBiE3sO0lScYabHssxXNLuLSb9H7nRAvkBvM4K0aBMsk7pv6SLjL2bgpPTk4walHgo9c2j%2FxcMNIeY57u4qXBzi9Q7dp5LoU%2FWxC05LMwrruFYq6jgHubloj8hEGxQbsMLJ8FK8FPw9dqUwCF15iyMxtO%2FkYystrJecdWVi11ZctKVUbnsoNQxofNluw0p5CvL4kBSJSNIdy4NGQP9hrTsi%2FsglvMERsexuEFph5TfqE7nkI4MrB1rdscQkrJQOkC2A33WPWjjwCkWSs36cLYAtTElMDGEkNjE%2FfB88DjHkPqdr3WYuV%2F1yd6p%2FA%2BQ2FHnWt5ipUDOctDAKTU%2BWQe4H5KeZguoTrfk3ECDvru2s7gNvL7lmjAipkMxOX3x0oXMUHOnytatqiKm%2FnMhdDU1K1Iw%3D%3D|cksum%3A254482503280d1886ddc469c41c9bc958498dad693ac|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Rich I don't know what kind of a search you did there but you get the prize for posting the longest URL!  FYI, most of that stuff is extraneous.  All you need is ebay.com/itm/item# for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254482503280

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 6:14 AM, TED said:

There have been a few discussions about this.  I went through some of the old posts and found the one below.  I know there are others if you want to take the time to search.  (The actual search feature was not very helpful.)

Meh....there's good and bad to switching.

Rich I don't know what kind of a search you did there but you get the prize for posting the longest URL!  FYI, most of that stuff is extraneous.  All you need is ebay.com/itm/item# for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254482503280

Whats the bad to switching to LED?

44 minutes ago, shane page said:

Making the jump to all LED is pricey to start with. There is certainly a different look to LEDs too. I have always found white to be hard to match up. I rarely buy used so usually buying clearance from the big box stores after Christmas and each brand I have noticed has different verbiage for their styles of white.

I have my old C9s I will not convert to LEDs. I only have 6 strands and they go on one bush but they are ones my dad gave to me when i got my first house. They were ones we used on his house years ago. 

I love the looks of the old c9s. I probably put up over 150 strands but outlets and extension cords become an issue. I switched to LED and now do all that with a couple cords and one outlet. I do have one tree I made with old school c9s and will probably not change that out. As far as LED bulbs for blow molds I just get warm white and I can’t tell a difference. My local Walmart has 40 watt 4 packs for 94 cents, that’s cheaper than incandescents.

• 1 month later...

I tried this year using the big "flame" bulbs for my full size NOMA Noel Candles, and found they were definitely not bright enough, and you really had to look to see the effect. Was disappointed. 

I use normal cheapo 40 watt equivalent LED lights you would use in your house. Used CFL's before LED's. 

On 10/19/2020 at 12:08 PM, dchackert said:

I have my old C9s I will not convert to LEDs. I only have 6 strands and they go on one bush but they are ones my dad gave to me when i got my first house. They were ones we used on his house years ago. 

You get my vote!  If they are the OLD C9 bulbs (especially the ones with the paint on the inside of the glass) they will last a long time.  The newer C9s (particularly the "retail store" bulbs) aren't nearly as good.

TED

On 10/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, shane page said:

On 10/19/2020 at 4:31 PM, shane page said:

I love the looks of the old c9s. I probably put up over 150 strands but outlets and extension cords become an issue. I switched to LED and now do all that with a couple cords and one outlet. I do have one tree I made with old school c9s and will probably not change that out. As far as LED bulbs for blow molds I just get warm white and I can’t tell a difference. My local Walmart has 40 watt 4 packs for 94 cents, that’s cheaper than incandescents.

If you are talking about 150 strands that have 250 C9 bulbs and you are replacing them with the retrofit bulbs that would be quite expensive.   The bulbs are a little over $1 each so for 3750 bulbs you're talking over $4000!  I'm going to venture a guess that you didn't go that route.  :) 

TED

4 hours ago, TED said:

You get my vote!  If they are the OLD C9 bulbs (especially the ones with the paint on the inside of the glass) they will last a long time.  The newer C9s (particularly the "retail store" bulbs) aren't nearly as good.

TED

If you are talking about 150 strands that have 250 C9 bulbs and you are replacing them with the retrofit bulbs that would be quite expensive.   The bulbs are a little over $1 each so for 3750 bulbs you're talking over $4000!  I'm going to venture a guess that you didn't go that route.  :) 

TED

I don't know... considering how much power incandescent C9's draw, that would have a fairly QUICK ROI... even though the initial cost is a big hit. 

When I converted to LED, my ROI was just shy of 2 years. Not to mention they last longer and colors dont fade/peel/scratch like incandescents. I don't dim/flash so that aspect of (some of the) LED's was never an issue for me. 

I'm glad I made the leap and would never go back. Granted, I didn't have 3700 C9 bulbs to replace