How can we get more people to decorate during a pandemic? Neighborhood lighting contest.

When I was a teenager our neighborhood sponsored a Christmas lighting contest.  As I remember I spelled NOEL in giant block letters on the roof and animated them a bit... but there was plenty of competition.  I walked away with a $10 check and was soooooo proud.  Now that I think about it, that was 50 years ago...

Maybe a way to stimulate more outdoor decorating is to get with your neighborhood homeowners association and convince them a lighting contest is needed for 2020.  Heck, in my area I'd even donate $50 in prize money just to get participants 'motivated.'   I'm thinking "Great Christmas Light Fight' at the super-local level.

• Like 1

I live in very large neighborhood and we have a contest each year. Halloween it’s 3 different categories  of decorations Winning prizes $20. Christmas it’s 5 different categories  of decorations winning pizza $25 or 50. I have won “old school Christmas display” and another year won traditional Christmas display. Rule is that you can only when a prize every other year. I built this house almost 5years ago.

I was told last night that the town I live in is having a House Lighting decorating contest, first year seeing that the Town Christmas festival was cancelled due to COVID.

The question for me is, I deleted my facebook back in June and the entries have to be submitted on facebook, do I create a new facebook for the contest? I have wanted to see how my house matched up to others (there is a little pride here).

So do I go back on facebook? Hmmmmm

• 4 weeks later...

This year we had a lot of people on my street put up lights and some are way over the top displays with mix of RGB and blow-ups. My street is 2 miles long and about 60 families put out something. I was able to get everyone on my block to put out lights and went and helped a few others:) down the road one house made wood cut-outs with snowmen on them for photo opportunities. Since a lot of people are working from home and not leaving for Christmas the displays have really been stepped up:):)!!!! 

8D7CCB8C-1D70-4D99-84EA-1053D4C5B9BF.jpeg

FEABC30A-63F3-4747-9C92-75CC8AB400D0.jpeg

Edited by Scott Rob
  • Like 1

That's a good idea!

I am at the very least going to suggest to my neighborhood group that we should organize an outdoor decoration scavenger hunt just like the ones people were proposing when Covid first started. People add one of their unique outdoor decorations to the scavenger hunt list and the kids have to ride around and check the item off their list. 

Edited by PRO5OHHO

We had a lot of family put up Christmas display this year on my street! The guy three house down got more RGB leds and made a few new things. The other house is down the road about 8 blocks down and had cool cut outs for people to take photos in.

782B0BEB-17D4-4560-BC0F-B6942CD00BA1.jpeg

69CEAE03-C35E-409E-B83D-46A988320A14.jpeg

C97DA237-9D91-4D16-A1D3-9B52258615EC.jpeg

AA6F7422-DDB8-4F54-AB7C-8710CD2B70B3.jpeg

ED0CB2AA-3219-4ADE-9FB2-C92865AB3CC7.jpeg

311C1D7F-DA83-4CE4-8B3C-2AD00FA58495.jpeg

Edited by Scott Rob