Wrap cheap xmas lights around outdoor figure whose lights have died?

Hi guys brand new to the forums here and apologies for what is no doubt an insanely stupid question - honestly I don't even know if I'm at the right website or if this is the right place to be posting questions like this :)

I have a few beloved "Bumble the Abominable Snowman" (from those old Rudolph stop motion Christmas specials us older folks watched as children ) outdoor light-up decorations... except the lights have stopped working on them.    I read on another website devoted to xmas decorations that you could wrap Christmas lights around the figures and this has worked beautifully for me... however I'm wondering if this creates a fire hazard (bumble has soft fur fabric surrounding him and the lights are wrapped around him).

The lights are, to be honest, the cheap kind ... the kind you'd find at Walmart, " Holiday Time Indoor and Outdoor Clear Mini Christmas Lights " ... string of 300 lights .. here's a copy and paste of the product description from Walmart, it mentions they are incandescent (not LED) lights  ... I have a second set of cheap 300 count multicolored lights I purchased from another store, can't remember the exact brand name of the lights but these would be cheap lights similar to the Holiday Time lights mentioned below .... also I should mention we live in Florida so not much chance of snow :)  (that took some getting used to around xmas time when we moved here :P )  but frequent rain.    Any thoughts or comments by anyone who reads this would be greatly appreciated :) 

Holiday Time 62.5' 300 Count, Incandescent Indoor and Outdoor Clear Mini Christmas Lights, 59',Green Wire String Lights:

• 300 clear bright incandescent mini lights
  • Light set measures 62.5' total length; 59' of lighted length
  • Can connect up to 3 sets of this exact string of lights using the end to end connections
  • Can be used virtually anywhere indoors and outside
  • Features two independent 50 light circuits that can be made to blink by replacing any one of the bulbs in that circuit with a red-tipped twinkle bulb
  • Bulbs stay lit even if one burns out
  • Versatile option to light up your Christmas trees, decor, displays, home, yard, and more
  • Green wire blends in with tree branches and greenery
  • Total product weight: 1.83 lbs.
  • Made in Cambodia
  • Model # 66-067

Go out and buy a light keeper pro. I've fixed a lot of decorations with it and saved others from the landfill. I see people all over town wrap green wire lights over there deer or other decorations and it makes them look incredibly cheap and tacky as most of the time it doesn't match the color of the figure.

Other option is to pull the old lights out and replace them inside of your figures with new LEDs. I’ve had to do this on a number of my items. It takes awhile but that is ok. You have over 10 months to get it done 😂

• Like 1

thanks for the reply guys :) (scratches head) I'm not getting an email notification when someone replies to my thread here but I will definitely keep checking in here for any updates :) .. having said that ... all right I admit it I'm a lazy slob who isn't nearly as invested in xmas lights as the people here , seriously my annual xmas display is nothing short of pathetic compared to my neighbors let alone what you guys probably have up in your yards :) (but the kids despite being 19 and 17 now still like it so I still put the figures up every year) ....  I actually like the way the led lights wrapped around the figures looks which shows just how low my standards are :P .... but my main concern is this... does anyone think it's a fire hazard given the situation I mentioned above?

You are worrying needlessly about the possibility of starting your Christmas decoration on fire.  I no longer use incandescent light strings but happened to have one set of incandescent white mini lights that works so I plugged them in for about 20 minutes and picked up a handful of bulbs in my bare hands.  They were warm to the touch but not even close to being hot enough to be uncomfortable.  This string has 100 bulbs and consumes 40.8 watts.  It's not like picking up a 40W incandescent bulb because the heat is spread out over a very large area. Unfortunately the information you gave does not give information on watts consumed.  I had some old strings that used 70W for 100 bulbs but even that would not be enough to make the bulbs hot enough.  I love the LED strings.  Mine are rated 4.8W for a 100 light string.  I just checked a spool of 225 lights sold by Walmart and the entire spool only uses 12W. 

Best thing is to do what I did and test the sting with your hands.  That should ease your fears. 

I tried to figure out what you were describing.  Most versions of Bumble are inflatables, not fabric covered wire.  Is this the one?  https://www.amazon.com/ProductWorks-Red-Nosed-Reindeer-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B01E7AHQVE?tag=christmastimetreasures-20

2 hours ago, Rich in Las Vegas said:

You are worrying needlessly about the possibility of starting your Christmas decoration on fire.  I no longer use incandescent light strings but happened to have one set of incandescent white mini lights that works so I plugged them in for about 20 minutes and picked up a handful of bulbs in my bare hands.  They were warm to the touch but not even close to being hot enough to be uncomfortable.  This string has 100 bulbs and consumes 40.8 watts.  It's not like picking up a 40W incandescent bulb because the heat is spread out over a very large area. Unfortunately the information you gave does not give information on watts consumed.  I had some old strings that used 70W for 100 bulbs but even that would not be enough to make the bulbs hot enough.  I love the LED strings.  Mine are rated 4.8W for a 100 light string.  I just checked a spool of 225 lights sold by Walmart and the entire spool only uses 12W. 

Best thing is to do what I did and test the sting with your hands.  That should ease your fears. 

I tried to figure out what you were describing.  Most versions of Bumble are inflatables, not fabric covered wire.  Is this the one?  https://www.amazon.com/ProductWorks-Red-Nosed-Reindeer-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B01E7AHQVE?tag=christmastimetreasures-20

Rich thank you so much I really appreciate what you wrote :)  ... that was a fantastic idea you had, I did just thought, tested the string with my hands - the string and bumble were warm to the touch but not hot to the point where I think it would start a fire, very nice common sense approach I don't know why I didn't think of that thank you :)  ...

I looked online but could not find info on how many watts the lights use, I will try checking the box (unfortunately I don't think the lights come with a pamphlet describing watts used - they really are cheap lights :P ) .. I did find this product link on amazon for the clear version

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Time-Clear-Lights-Green/dp/B07K2BPFLG

The numbers seem a bit off in that it talks about 450 lights putting out about 216 watts - I say the numbers are off because the product listing states it's for 300 lights then they're talking about 450 lights.... but say it's 300 lights... there's this link

https://www.igs.com/energy-resource-center/energy-101/how-much-electricity-do-christmas-lights-use

which if it's correct says each bulb for the small mini incandescents (which is what these ones are) is 0.41 watts per bulb.. so 300 times 0.41 would give 123 watts if that's correct.

.. and yes apologies I should have posted an amazon link (honestly as a new member I didn't even know if the forum would let me post a link ) that's the one exactly , bumble with fur  - funny how the amazon sellers want over a hundred dollars for him now I wonder if someone would actually pay that :P  (he's awesome and all but I got him for a fraction of that price years ago ... lucky I suppose).

At the beginning or end of every light string you will find a small white tag that gives information on the lights.  That will tell you how many watts the string uses.  For example I have in my hand a set of LED snowflake lights that I rescued from the nearby Goodwill outlet store. At the bottom of the tag is the line: Model AL50/2F-SF2, 120V, 60HZ, 0.04A, 4.8W, 0913.  It's easy to decode this line.  It has 50 LEDs arrayed in two sets of 25 each.  It was made for the US (120V, 60Hz), uses 4.8W, and was manufactured in September 2013.   If it only said 0.04A, I could still find out how many watts it used since Amps times Volts = Watts from the tag information.

I'm not sure why multiplying the number of bulbs times the watts per bulb doesn't give the right result for watts consumed but that is also the case for the string I have.  Individual bulbs are rated as 3.2V 0.064W and there are 100 of them so if you use this calculation the string would use 6.4W.   BTW, if there is a nearby Goodwill sorting facility that has an outlet (not retail) store attached it is worth visiting this time of year as many used LED strings show up there.  This string weighs a tad over 1/2 pound so it cost me about 80 cents. 

7 hours ago, Rich in Las Vegas said:

At the beginning or end of every light string you will find a small white tag that gives information on the lights.  That will tell you how many watts the string uses.  For example I have in my hand a set of LED snowflake lights that I rescued from the nearby Goodwill outlet store. At the bottom of the tag is the line: Model AL50/2F-SF2, 120V, 60HZ, 0.04A, 4.8W, 0913.  It's easy to decode this line.  It has 50 LEDs arrayed in two sets of 25 each.  It was made for the US (120V, 60Hz), uses 4.8W, and was manufactured in September 2013.   If it only said 0.04A, I could still find out how many watts it used since Amps times Volts = Watts from the tag information.

I'm not sure why multiplying the number of bulbs times the watts per bulb doesn't give the right result for watts consumed but that is also the case for the string I have.  Individual bulbs are rated as 3.2V 0.064W and there are 100 of them so if you use this calculation the string would use 6.4W.   BTW, if there is a nearby Goodwill sorting facility that has an outlet (not retail) store attached it is worth visiting this time of year as many used LED strings show up there.  This string weighs a tad over 1/2 pound so it cost me about 80 cents. 

I need to checkout the Goodwill outlet near me. I assume it’s all just random chance on what you find huh?

Rich again thanks so much  :) .. I finally got around to taking down the xmas lights today and when I was putting them away realized the box they came in gives the number of watts used... actually the info I gave at the start of the thread was a bit misleading, I actually had two sets of xmas lights up, one white one multicolored, but only half of each was wrapped around Bumble the rest was just kind of sitting there on the ground away from him ... the white lights according to the box they came in use 122.4 watts total.... but again half of the lights were wrapped around Bumble so... half of that would be 61.2 watts wrapped around Bumble for the white lights effectively?   The colored lights according to their box use 48 watts (no idea why they use so much less in watts) ... not sure whether or not to cut that in half for 24 watts since only half of the colored ones were wrapped around Bumble?