Found a post that pointed me to doityourselfchristmas.com.  The Renard SS series look like solid controllers.  After a number of hours using the Vixen software I'm thinking it produces nice sequences.  However, having not purchased the controllers yet, I don't have any experience with the setup and timing.  I want to work warm white incandescents with warm white LEDs.  I think I need the LEDs for the quicker response times; I want to have the lights respond to the quickly moving music so the lights are on-off-on more than a couple times a second.  Maybe that is too fast.  Trying to work cost and function between the incandescents/LEDs and the cadence of the music.  We got snow today (it's already gone) but our Christmas was brown.  Working white lights is one way to have a white Christmas.  I may end up with color in the display but I want to give "all white lights" a chance.  One thing in my plans that has changed with going to the Renard approach is increasing the number of outputs/channels and reducing the number of strings per output.  Provides lots of movement.  Takes longer to sequence. One time estimate I saw for sequencing was four hours per one minute of music.  I far surpass that in hours spent...maybe my sequencing skills will improve.

Just have fun with it and don't over think it.  It's really easy to bit off more than you can chew with this hobby.  lol  I like your idea of going with all white and it should look very nice.  

When I started sequencing, it took me quite a while to get through my first couple songs.  Then I picked up on short cuts and copy & paste sections that I liked from other songs, I was able to cut the sequencing time.  

Great advice.  I’m two weeks into this and already wondering how it’s going to come together. Time to step back. 

When I get the video capture setup on my pc I’ll post a short clip.  

I had this idea of doing a show this summer so I started a second sequence and put the Christmas sequence aside for a few days.  It’s interesting to see the differences in sequencing a fast song versus a slower song.  

I have not bought controllers yet.  I’m wanting to build them. Looking at the Renard SS24 kit on DIYC. 

I tried the Windows indigenous video capture last night.  Worked great.  But 30 seconds resulted in a 40 Mb mp4 file.  

How do you plan to display the video?  What do you plan to use for a computer?

When I started, I purchased used Renard 64 controller and setup a Raspberry Pi 3 to run the show.  Then started working on props and collecting blow molds.  I definitely planned much more than I was able to accomplish that first year and that was okay.  Since then I've been adding new props every year and added a few more Reanrds.

The video I mentioned was just of my light previews in Vixen; intended for sharing sequence progress, that's all.

I'm running an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz with 4 processors and 16 Gb RAM.  I have no idea how it will perform...

Are you still using the Pi?  I haven't looked at that aspect, yet.  I've been planning to get the Starter Set that is offered with the Renards.  The Starter Set includes an FM radio.  Having done a little ham radio I plan to build a dipole antenna for the radio.  I was reading about copyright stuff.  I've been thinking about talking with a copyright lawyer here in town.  The music I've picked so far is stuff I got off iTunes which is no issue but I'm curious about the broadcasting aspect.  For amateur radio, the FCC is very specific about music not being transmitted.

Also, I'm really curious to see how much lag there is between controller #1 and controller #4.

I'm hoping to take the plunge on controllers soon.  I have some lights with more coming next week.