2021. Easier way to decorate to get more involved?

We did our annual Christmas Eve light tour and I couldn't help but notice more people had outdoor Christmas decorations... typically some minilights in the bushes.  A step in the right direction but still a long way from the magic of a Hallmark Christmas movie.

I'm going to blame the over-the-top decorators.  They've intimidated the typical decorator into not even trying.  😲

Christmas 2020 is so.... last year but I'm already looking at 2021 and how to get more people decorating.

I'm thinking some sort of smart props.  Dancing wreaths, snowflakes, candy canes but plug and play.  (secret code for meaning you don't have to be a nerd to create an exciting display.)

I stumbled onto this video.  Jump to the 1:20 mark to skip the intro.  For the record: I have no financial link to this company.

I get kind of excited with this concept.  Mix and match the props any way you want, provide a source of music and you're done.  Easy to expand in the future.

Whatdoyathink?  

What other ways can we make decorating easier for others?

Those are pretty cool items they have on deck.

They have some really cool stuff available on their site, and plug and play would definitely get more people into elaborate decorating (if they don't balk at the price).

I purchased their music box controller which is easy to setup but it is very costly.  It is a time saver in terms of if you want to incorporate music and chasing lights into your display.

I think this is what has made inflatables so popular. Plug them in, big coverage then they go into a tiny box. Same for the laser dots... 

I don’t do any music due to the time and money. The pre-programmed stuff would be cool but probably more than I would ever pay!!

We had a noticeable increase in the number and extent of houses decorating this year. Our community has a contest with small prizes. Typically, it is the same houses taking the top 3 spots and honorable mentions, but this year the judges switched in some of the houses that decorated seemingly for the first time. I thought that was a great idea to motivate more people. Perhaps a "new to decorating" or "rookie of the year" would be a good add to motivate people who may be discouraged by the much larger displays.

A really good point on inflatables.  They're big, easy to deploy and relatively inexpensive.  If we could just apply that concept to lights...

17 hours ago, Chuck said:

A really good point on inflatables.  They're big, easy to deploy and relatively inexpensive.  If we could just apply that concept to lights...

Yeah - there’s probably something. It seems most of the “easy up” type of stuff would be expensive.  I guess that’s also why blow molds were popular, wire frames, etc. 

Ideally there’s something that fits into a smallish box but is plug and play and makes a big splash. 

I like the idea. Someone like me will never have the time or patience to make a light show. 

We have a house here that does it to music but feel they flash just a bit to much. Almost needs a seizure warning.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:56 PM, dchackert said:

I like the idea. Someone like me will never have the time or patience to make a light show. 

We have a house here that does it to music but feel they flash just a bit to much. Almost needs a seizure warning.

Another reason i don’t do flashing lights (first two reasons are time and I’m cheap) is that I actually like to look at the lights. 

Some of the  new stuff is getting ridiculous. Looks more like a TV outside vs a light show. 

Just visited the Christmas Lights Emporium site this morning after reading your post.  They have some appealing smooth fade lights on sale.  I have way too many LED lights already so I will resist the temptation.  Yes, there are some items shown on the opening page that are out-of-stock but that shouldn't be surprising since we have just passed the Christmas season.  Their peak sale season probably starts in September and peaks in late November so a smart retailer would not restock until late summer when it is not sitting around costing them money with little chance of being sold.