Fluorescent bulbs used in blowmolds

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swapped in the 4 watt flourescent it equals a 15 watt bulb but is a whiter light. it has the candellabra base so it fit right in smaller blowmold sockets. I also puit them into my inflatables and they really light them up well. They come with an adapter for a standard base. They were at Home depot for approx. $7.50.

Marshall

How are those bulbs with heat? The reason I ask is that one of my blowmolds fell over and the 40 watt bulb melted a little hole in the candle flame.

I can eat the cost of replacing the bulbs; in my eyes they will pay for themselves if they prevent heat damage to increasingly expensive and hard to find blow molds!!

I don't think those bulbs would work here in Minnesota. I know someone that tried to use one in thier front house light and when it got really cold, as it tends to do here, it would not light.

I wish I could use them because I have to watch closely how much power I use.

Martha Kleder wrote:

How are those bulbs with heat? The reason I ask is that one of my blowmolds fell over and the 40 watt bulb melted a little hole in the candle flame.

I think that a40 watt bulb is too much for a candle flame since the inside of the flame is not that large. If you use the 25 watt flame bulb (intended for chandeliers) it will give you a little more clearance.

TED

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but how many blow molders have converted now to fluorescent bulbs in their blowmolds? I have not converted mine because I don't like fluorscent bulbs anyway and I will not use them until it is mandated by law. I like to keep my blow molds original. This is really an interesting thread to me and thought I would try to bring this thread back to life again.

I've converted the few molds I have, except for one that I dim with LOR.

You really can't tell the difference at all, so I'm not sure that changing to CFL makes them any less "original". Actually I would normally use only 25w bulbs so they are much brighter now, which makes them look better.

-Tim

I know this is an old thread, but how many blow molders have converted now to fluorescent bulbs in their blowmolds? I have not converted mine because I don't like fluorscent bulbs anyway and I will not use them until it is mandated by law. I like to keep my blow molds original. This is really an interesting thread to me and thought I would try to bring this thread back to life again.

Hi Thomas..

Heres a more recent thread (with poll) that addresses some of your questions.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=31598

M.

I am also leaning towards cfl for these 2 reasons.

1. The electric bill is lower, (although there IS the initial expense of the bulbs.)

2. I can put more molds on one circuit with out popping a fuse.

----------

Its just been one season but so far i have not experienced cfl failure. Most of mine were purchased at Hopeless Depot.

I did notice the cfl bulb would dimly glow for a minute before going full bright in zero degree weather, but other than that i did not notice problems with Minnesota cold affecting the bulbs. I would agree that a blinking cfl condition is probably not best.

M.

Interesting you make mention of Mark coming back. I read through this thread from 3 years ago and see alot of names that i dont see on the forum now. Do people get into and out of this hobby that fast?...or where did everyone go?

A lot of them are still here, they just do not post (some may have left for good). They leave because they do not agree with the direction the fourm is going. I am one of thoes that doesn't post.

Interesting you make mention of Mark coming back. I read through this thread from 3 years ago and see alot of names that i dont see on the forum now. Do people get into and out of this hobby that fast?...or where did everyone go?

Just like any forum, people come and go. Various reasons include:

• They no longer decorate to the degree they used to. (remember, some here have been doing computerized displays for over a decade, so it isn't exactly a 'get in and get right back out' thing for them). Divorces, marriages, family budgets, and neighbors are some of the reasons I can think of that have driven previously prolific posters away. Many have said they'd stick around, but if you're not actively doing it, you're probably going to fall away.
  • They didn't like the direction PC was going. PC used to be a relatively small community of very technical-minded decorators, who all knew each other on a first-name basis. Today it's a much larger community, backed by "PlanetChristmas, Inc", which includes many more newbies who don't know how many lights they can plug into an extension cord than it does people willing to hack the parallel port of their PC or solder their own boards, and people are more likely to post about what they bought at a garage sale than they are about pushing the technology forward. And quite a few people are reluctant to share their real name. Now I'm not passing judgement by saying this (obviously I've chosen to stay), but others have decided that "this is no longer the PC I joined", and left. Some have gone on to start/join alternate boards, with varying degrees of success.
  • I know of a couple people who were nervous posting electrical/electronic information in a public forum frequented by young teens, a few of who, while very creative, haven't always showed the best judgement safety-wise.
  • Some were banned, temporarily or permanently, and haven't been active posters ever since.
  • One expert (the one whose video brought many of you here) was all but driven out of the community by jealous existing members who didn't feel he deserved the recognition he was getting, but did not seek out.
  • A few, sadly, have died.

Tim and Tyler are correct...

Many of the people in this thread are still decorating...just not posting here.

It's sad to see the good people leave...get ran off or thrown out and have to watch the not on the up and up members still posting away...:rolleyes:

Just like any forum, people come and go. Various reasons include:

• They no longer decorate to the degree they used to. (remember, some here have been doing computerized displays for over a decade, so it isn't exactly a 'get in and get right back out' thing for them). Divorces, marriages, family budgets, and neighbors are some of the reasons I can think of that have driven previously prolific posters away. Many have said they'd stick around, but if you're not actively doing it, you're probably going to fall away.
  • They didn't like the direction PC was going. PC used to be a relatively small community of very technical-minded decorators, who all knew each other on a first-name basis. Today it's a much larger community, backed by "PlanetChristmas, Inc", which includes many more newbies who don't know how many lights they can plug into an extension cord than it does people willing to hack the parallel port of their PC or solder their own boards, and people are more likely to post about what they bought at a garage sale than they are about pushing the technology forward. And quite a few people are reluctant to share their real name. Now I'm not passing judgement by saying this (obviously I've chosen to stay), but others have decided that "this is no longer the PC I joined", and left. Some have gone on to start/join alternate boards, with varying degrees of success.
  • I know of a couple people who were nervous posting electrical/electronic information in a public forum frequented by young teens, a few of who, while very creative, haven't always showed the best judgement safety-wise.
  • Some were banned, temporarily or permanently, and haven't been active posters ever since.
  • One expert (the one whose video brought many of you here) was all but driven out of the community by jealous existing members who didn't feel he deserved the recognition he was getting, but did not seek out.
  • A few, sadly, have died.

Huh!...interesting. Thanks for the history lesson. :)

Im curious...relative to newbies inputs watering down the forum, im guessing your example pertains less to the blowmold section and more about something technical like the LOR section. I mean...are there really that many potential technological break-throughs of any type possible when talking about blowmolds? LOR...yes, i can see where that technology has probably advanced by leaps and bounds and is more apt to attract the tech sector.

What video is credited with attracting people to this forum? Id be interested to see it.

M.

Tim and Tyler are correct...

Many of the people in this thread are still decorating...just not posting here.

It's sad to see the good people leave...get ran off or thrown out and have to watch the not on the up and up members still posting away...:rolleyes:

Sorry to ask a dumb question or risk re-kindling an old war but being relativly new here Im curious...What criteria defines a 'not on the up and up' member?

M.

Sorry to ask a dumb question or risk re-kindling an old war but being relativly new here Im curious...What criteria defines a 'not on the up and up' member?

M.

Someone that will scam you or rip you off. That is what you need to watch out for. If you want to buy something from someone, check them out first. This website is available to anyone, so here, you should ask your friends first if they have ever dealt with the person or know of someone who has. Don't ship until you get paid..Like any other website, just because this is a Christmas site, doesn't mean that creeps can't get in..