Fluorescent bulbs used in blowmolds

Has anyone used fluorescent bulbs in their blowmolds? I converted all of mine to these type of bulbs this year. I am getting the light of a 60 watt bulb for only 14 watts. I was able to put all of my blowmolds (55) on 1 circuit. The cold does not effect them in any way.

I know some of your saying that they are too expensive, well Home depot has a special going right now. You get 6 fluorescent bulbs for $9.97. This is about $1.66 each.

This is just a heads up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark:

Are they the ones that look like a spiral bulb? I have never tried them for the reason that cold weather tends not to allow the gas inside heat up as needed. You say that the cold weather in Indiania has not effected them. Wow, if they hold up, I might look into it next year.

Well we covered this subject in the old fourm a couple of weeks ago but for the new people yes I to converted most of my blowmold to the 6 for $10 home depot bulbs and they were working fine at 10 degrees the other nite. They take a couple of minutes to warm up and I ended up spending $40 dollars for them, but hey they save me the cost of putting in a new sub panel cause I had no room left for anything else power wise. Gave me an extra 1000 watts to play with. Also with the energy saved I'll recover my cost in 3 or 4 seasons

markobermiller wrote:

Has anyone used fluorescent bulbs in their blowmolds? I converted all of mine to these type of bulbs this year. I am getting the light of a 60 watt bulb for only 14 watts. I was able to put all of my blowmolds (55) on 1 circuit. The cold does not effect them in any way.

I know some of your saying that they are too expensive, well Home depot has a special going right now. You get 6 fluorescent bulbs for $9.97. This is about $1.66 each.

This is just a heads up.

I used these bulbs a few years ago, now remenber that i live in Florida. The bulbs are great as long as you do not have them going on and off. They do not do well blinking.

Gil

Great to hear from you Gil!

I have had temps in the low 20's at start-up and they were a bit dim, but give them a couple of minutes and you will not know the difference.

Yes they are the spiral bulb. The only complaint I have is they seem to be easy to break. I had a blowmold fall over and the spiral broke. The mold must not fall over.

I have one spiral bulb that is exposed to the cold without a cover. When it gets cold it does dim down, but I have not found this to happen within a mold.

I know I am saving over 4 times the energy consumption compared to a regular bulb.

markobermiller wrote:

This is just a heads up.

Mark,

Thanks for the heads up. I went to the local Home Depot today to check them out. To my delight they had them for the $9.97 with a coupon sponsored by Home Depot and the local power company for $6 off. One coupon to a customer. I purchased one package of six for $4.76 including sales tax, took them to the car, went back in andthey sold meanother package for the same $4.76 as another customer. The coupons are good until 3/31/06 so we will be getting a few more for the .79 per bulb including the tax. Now if they would only do that with the 27 watt fluorescent bulbs. We are using a few dozen 25 watt incandescent bulbs in blow molds in the display. The 60 watt would be too bright for them.

Mel

I have used them for two seasons now and very pleased with the results. I was use the 60 watt type but they where a little to bright so this year in the off season I found the 40 watt type for $2 each a Wal-Mart. Here is a photo with the 60 watts

Chad

post-86-129570946742_thumb.jpg

Chad, I agree that the 60 watt would be to bright for a lot of the smaller blow molds. I am going to try some 40 watt in our drummer boys and about 2 dozen different 31" to 33" snowmen. If I like the effect we will change the several dozen bulbs in the different 30" choir people. I just finished changing the 40 watt bulbs in our 48" choir people that we have in the display at this time and they do look much brighter with the new flourescent bulbs in them. It isbelow freezing outside tonight and it only took a couple of minutes for the bulbs to brighten up. We are very happy with them.

Mel

Looks like a way to go....I had to replace most of my bulbs this season and put them in my new guys....hubby picked up some wal-mart el cheapo 40 watts...I bet I have already lost a dozen from them blowing out...I should take them back and tell them they are crap!

Mark, thanks for the heads up on the fluorescent bulbs. I think I might just give them a try. I have been using 15 watt appliance bulbs and have found them to be just fine when used in "mass" quantities. But the fluorescent bulbs, if they hold up for you throughout the season, might just be my next move for 2006. Please keep us posted, if you will, on how well they perform.

davidh wrote:

Would the even light here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. It can be below zero for highs around here. I am going to have to believe they will not light when it gets that cold.

On the back of the package they state "Minimum starting temperature -20 F"

We bought two more six packs of them today with the $6 off coupons. Sure wish someone would have a reduced price on the 40 watt equivalent flourescent bulbs. The lowest cost ones we found today were over $4 each. The local Home depot did have 75 watt equivalent ones for 99 cents each.

Mel

Jerry Plak wrote:

Has any one had to trim there socket with a dermal tool so the Bulb fit into the socket.

And is any one doing this on blowmolds that use a C-7 blub?

Jerry:snowman:

Jerry,

Is there a reason why you should have to do this? Just curious as to why.:)

Bolwin wrote:

Mel have you tried big lots or odd lots,that's where I found mine at a good price.

Brenda

Brenda, the closest Big Lots is about 35 miles from here. We have been wanting to go check them out for what they have for Christmas. This adds another real good reason to do it soon. :P

Mel

Jerry Plak wrote:

Hi Thomas,

On some of the blowmolds the socket use the long neck bulbs, so fluorescent bulbs don’t fit with out trimming the socket cover.

I will post a Photo later today :-)

Jerry:snowman:

Jerry,

I have found that most of the TPI, Grand Venture and some of the Santa's Best that we have do have the deeper socket that prevents screwing the fluorescent bulb in far enough to make contact. I haven't trimmed the sockets yet due to being a collector of blow molds I don't like modifying them in any way. I am trying to locate new sockets that I can substitute for the originals and keep the originals with them unaltered. Just one of the quirks that some collectors do to protect the original condition of a collected item. If we just had the blow molds for display I would have had the sockets out at the band saw the first night I bought some of the bulbs.

Mel