Mr Christmas light sculpture competition

I want to discuss a topic that doesn't get brought up that often. If you look at the box of almost every Mr. Christmas light sculpture mini,animated,3D or even jumbo you will see a sticker saying that you could win a 1996 light sculpture contest with $100,00 in prizes. I've looked everywhere but I've never been able to find who won the contest, what the first prize was or if the contest ever actually happened. Maybe someone on this forum knows all about it but for me at least I've been stuck at a dead end in finding any info about this.

A side note, I started doing some digging and almost every single box has that sticker on it. I was thinking it could be 2 things. 1, The light sculptures where a limited time thing that where only produced for the competition or 2, Was there more than 1 contest or was one held each year for a certain period of time?

mr christmas 1.jpg

mr christmas 2.jpg

Edited by Gemmy_fanatic_04

Now those were the good old days.  K-Mart and Sears were my go-to sources for outdoor Christmas decorating.  As I remember, my Mr. Christmas was purchased from K-Mart... on December 26 when it was 50% off.  I also bought my lighted wireframes from there... cheesy wire sculptures lined in white minilights with some sort of vinyl tubing covering everything.  As I think back, we had very low expectations for Christmas decorations  .)  Wait... what happened to K-Mart and Sears???

I'm going to bet the contests were just marketing hype to pull your attention to the store shelf.  Back in those days you'd have to take a physical picture or video and mail it into the company.  What a hassle.

For me the real magic happened in my head as I thought of the perfect placement of each wireframe in my yard.

Doesn't Light-O-Rama (www.lightorama.com) and several other on-line Christmas resellers have contests now?

On 6/1/2021 at 8:14 AM, Chuck said:

Now those were the good old days.  K-Mart and Sears were my go-to sources for outdoor Christmas decorating.  As I remember, my Mr. Christmas was purchased from K-Mart... on December 26 when it was 50% off.  I also bought my lighted wireframes from there... cheesy wire sculptures lined in white minilights with some sort of vinyl tubing covering everything.  As I think back, we had very low expectations for Christmas decorations  .)  Wait... what happened to K-Mart and Sears???

I'm going to bet the contests were just marketing hype to pull your attention to the store shelf.  Back in those days you'd have to take a physical picture or video and mail it into the company.  What a hassle.

For me the real magic happened in my head as I thought of the perfect placement of each wireframe in my yard.

Doesn't Light-O-Rama (www.lightorama.com) and several other on-line Christmas resellers have contests now?

Wow Mr. Planet Christmas himself! I recently acquired a 3D deer and tree along with a large angel (silhouettes) from a house that was going to be leveled for a parking lot in west Nebraska. Fortunately a friend of mine has a brother who does construction for a living and he was the one who originally reached out to me.  While I'm not sure why somebody cut the plugs for the deer and angel off because once fixed they had no problems at all. I was going to keep the boxes but the previous owner stored them in a dirt floor shed and hadn't used them for many many years. (House was vacant since 2017) While studding the amounts of mold on them I noticed that each box was quite different, Both the deer and tree (dated 1994 or 5) had stickers on the front and back of the box advertising a light contest while the angel (dated 1998) had a sticker showing a drawn image of a house with multiple light sculptures on it. It even had a 3D logo of Santa on a computer with the words "Mr. Christmas online!" next to it. I guess this solves the theory of them only being produced for the contest but I guess due to the limited info it still remains a mystery of the great Mr Christmas Light Sculptures Contest.

crete 1.PNG

crete 2.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The tree came with a instruction booklet, repair kit and a flyer for the competition. I love how it states that it must be legible color photographs. The photos on the box show 4 large homes that are decked out with only Mr. Christmas stuff. I started wondering if they purchased all of that themselves or if Mr. Christmas approached a random homeowner to decorate there home lol.  I contacted Mr. Christmas and they where quite surprised that I brought this up, but I got nowhere due to the contest info being archived. I was informed however that every few years they reorganize there archives and when they come across the contest they will inform me with the information on it.

Edited by Gemmy_fanatic_04