Best Method of Quick and Dirty MegaTree?

I think I am going to be adding a MegaTree to my display this year and looking for the easiest way to do this. I plan on just using the single pole with strands of light going right into the ground method. I really don't want to do the dig a hole and pour some concrete.

I would like it to be around 20' tall and will use guy wires. What is the cheapest kind of pole I can use? Does a large PVC pipe work at this height? What could I find at a local hardware store that would work?

Thanks.

I have seen videos of 20' trees done with PVC, but you would need to go with 2-3" diameter at least so the pole would not bend too much. Depending on the number of lights and the amount of wind you get it may be fine. I would recommend a metal pole for anything over the 10-15' height. PVC seems to work fine at the shorter lengths.I had some 3/4" I used to get an idea of how tall 20' was in the yard and I almost could not stand it up and the top was bending over when it was standing.

Chris

I have a 20' flagpole tree, but here's what I'm going to do about the 2 other mega trees I want. I'm going to use the flagpole out oftheflag kit's I bought from Sam's Club last year. I'm sure they still have them. Anyway, they have a deck bracket standin them that you can bolt the stand to a deck. I'm simply going to use this bracket, put tent stakes through the bolt holes into the ground, then put a concrete block on top of that. Then, I made a bottom skirt that the lights can wrap around out of pvc, and made top hooks like the set up Darryl has for his pvc trees. So I can just run my lights, to the skirt, and guy wire the whole thing down. I should have some pics this weekend, as I'm starting to set up.

Am in the process of doing a 20' mega. Using two sections of 10' pipe used for chain-link fences, plus a larger diameter one that is sunk into the ground. Am working the kinks out of a hoist system so changing out dead strings will be easier. Will have some pics soon. Total cash outlay so far has been $46 via Home Depot.

Just a heads up - PVC in freezing weather is very brittle!

I tried a pvc mega tree at the beginning-BIG MISTAKE. Trying to lift it up without lights was a task using 3 inch pvc. I use top rail fence pipe that has a bell end. This allows other pieces to slide into it. I did not use concrete either. I dug a hole about 3 feet deep, then put a 3 inch pvc piece in the ground. When not in use during the season, I screw a pvc cap on it so dirt does not get in it.

once the tree is all together, I have help to assist the pole into the pvc pipe in the ground. Once up, I then secure my guy wires. I have 3 wires in the middle of the pole and 3 more at the top of the tree. It does not move in the wind. I included some day time pics of it in Lights,Lights, Lights section.

Link

this year we are using a mega tree with 3in pvc.. two 10ft sections

we have a three ft section in the ground, granted i have access to a 19ft scissor lift, so building this should not be to difficult. 4 guy wires. only lights on the front 1/2 of the tree, but two colors.

we painted the pvc with a red stripe to its a 20ft tall candy cane during the day.

I am planning on using aluminum conduit. I used it last year for my 15 footer and it worked great. I just pounded it into the ground and hung my lights. Now I live in GA so the ground is not an issue,

This year I am going to try and telescope it using 4 short sections of various widths, one fitiing in the other. Than bolting it ias I go, with 3 guy wires to be safe. if it works I will let you know. i am hoping to build it this weekend.

I have begun setting up my Mega trees already and I must say I like my system alot. I use 2" EMT electrical conduit. I set it in the ground with a 3 foot long 3" pvc Sleeve no cement. You can either use thin electrical conduit for a round base staked to the ground or use a raised base like Daryls either way it looks good. I use a light weight pole to raise my strands up to the hooks total time setting up about 2 hours.