Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
mskathie32

Big delemma

Hello, I am seeking a generator for my Christmas display, however I am clueless when it comes to knowing anything about a generator. I was looking into the super quiet generator, and found that honda has a 2000 and 3000. However, I believe that a 100 ct strand of lights equal out to be 250 volts, is that right? The guy on the phone was saying that I would only get under 650 lights on a 2000 generator, and about 1500 on a 3000 generator.

so......if ANYONE who knows anything about generators PLEASE fill me in on a super quiet generator that will take on about 25,000 lights. I figure I can plug the rest in my house if need be.

Presuming a load of 0.33 amps per string. 25,000 lights = 250 strands.

250 strands x 0.33 amps = 82.5 amps

82.5 amps x 110 volts = 9,075 watts.

You would need at least a 10,000 watt generator, and the fuel to run it during your display. You could use two 5,000 watt generators (Honda makes a quiet running one) and they will cost at least $600 - $800 each. A 10,000 watt generator can be obtained at somewhere like Home Depot in the neighborhood of $1500 - $2000.

If it were me, I would upgrade my electrical service.

Good luck.

PS: If theamperage on your light strings is less than 0.33 amps, just find the rating and recalculate the math.

I would look into getting my service upgraded...

as a reference point my contractor that just finished my home is planing to tap off of our electrical to build the house next door to save $$ and mostly noise vs running a generator all day....

As noted above, generators are generally not a practical solution. Very expensive to run, noisy, etc. The cheapest power (by far) you'll use is from the power grid. If it wasn't, we'd all use generators and unplug from the grid.

-Tim

Hello and thanks for the advice. See what I have is my problem is I dont have enough time or money right now to get the electrical work done at my home. I am kicking myself now for not saving earlier in the year and having it done before now. So, since I can't run the lights through my house, I have no choice but to seek some other way to run my lights. I want to get enough electricity outside to be able to have 50,000 lights outside. I don't believe I will ever go further than that. I just wish that I had the smarts on how to do stuff, but I am learning very slowly. I know the generator won't be a good thing this year but it seams to be my only salution right now. My father in law said I could borrow his generator if I pay to fix it, so I am debating if that is the way I should go. I only would be running it for about 4 hours each night, so I hope that it won't be an issue.

If anyone can help me please do speak up, I am only trying to find out if I am doing the right thing since I cannot get the electricity right now unless my tree out front dropped money instead of leaves, and I could hire someone to do it before I put all my display out. Right now I am just dealing with lights, and soon will be bringing everything out.

mskathie32 wrote:

Hello and thanks for the advice. See what I have is my problem is I dont have enough time or money right now to get the electrical work done at my home. I am kicking myself now for not saving earlier in the year and having it done before now. So, since I can't run the lights through my house, I have no choice but to seek some other way to run my lights. I want to get enough electricity outside to be able to have 50,000 lights outside. I don't believe I will ever go further than that. I just wish that I had the smarts on how to do stuff, but I am learning very slowly. I know the generator won't be a good thing this year but it seams to be my only salution right now. My father in law said I could borrow his generator if I pay to fix it, so I am debating if that is the way I should go. I only would be running it for about 4 hours each night, so I hope that it won't be an issue.

If anyone can help me please do speak up, I am only trying to find out if I am doing the right thing since I cannot get the electricity right now unless my tree out front dropped money instead of leaves, and I could hire someone to do it before I put all my display out. Right now I am just dealing with lights, and soon will be bringing everything out.

Not sure what to tell ya, other than to scale down this year and shoot for next year.

You either have the juice or you don't, unfortunately.

Computer control can allow you to have more lights per amp (via selective programming and dimming) but it'sa bit late to start with that too.

Good luck.

-Tim

My contractor was using 2-3 gallons of gas a day and the generator was idling most of the day since it was mainly running an air compressor. Plan on $10 a day to run the compressor.

Honestly 50k lights is a LOT of lights... I would scale back this year and plan for next year. $300 ($10 a day for 30 days) is a LOT of lights, wiring, etc, Plus you need to get the generator fixed...

Well if you divide your christmas lights evenly between the two legs of your service, that's only (only?) 40 amps per leg.

What size is your service? You should be able to run this on a 60a service provided you don't try to run the dishwasher/dryer/electric oven.

Do you know from experience that this won't work?

Tim

What size electrical service do you have? 60 amp, 100 amp or 200 amp.

What type of electrical devices do you have? Hot water heater, Electric clothes dryer, electric stove, electric heat and etc? What I am trying to do is first figure how much juice you have towork withand then maybe we can turn off one of the above devices when you are running your show to free up some power. Once the show is done you can turn the devices back on.

Hello, well in checking in on a generator, I find that its not worth renting one because I could basically buy one for the price that the rental companies are asking. I haven't yet asked my father in law what all is wrong with his generator to see how much it would be to fix his, and I know that as long as we dont run the washing machine, and/or microwave then I can run half of my display lights through the outlets inside the house.

I would have to ask the same as C music did, what size service do you have, all electric house, there may be other options if we know the issue's involved