Picture of my Megatree - Update

It is 20 feet tall using two 10ft fence rails. I used 32 eye hooks and put a piece of string through each one. From the ground I tie on 3 sets at a time and then raise them up. This also allows me to bring a string down during the season if I need to fix or replace it.

It is secured to the ground with a stake.

All the supplies I bought at Home Depot. What I did was drive a 3 foot stake into the ground about 2 feet. I then used some fence parts that go around the stake and then clamped to the pole. If you go to the fence section at Home Depot you will see the part I used (not sure what it is called). The hole is not quite big enough to fit the stake so you will have to work it a bit but is not really that hard. (I used two of these clamps, the bottom one is being hidden by all the wire.)

megatree-05.jpg

You will have to use guy wires to secure it and make sure you do the middle also otherwise it will bow (you can see both sets of guy wires in the night time picture). Once you do, it is very secure.

The pole is made by taking 2 10' sections of fence railing and they are designed to slide right into each other. I painted my pole black.

Here is a shot of the top.

megatree-top.gif

A lot of fence parts here also.

What I did was clamp down 4 L brackets to the pole with the same style C clamps that I used to secure my pole to the stake that goes into the ground. This was a bit tricky since the C clamps where a little to small for the job but I managed to get it to work. Since so many parts of the C clamp stick out, I was able to secure my guy wires around this.

I then screw on the top piece of wood and painted everything black

Like in my other post I put pieces of string through the eye hooks so I could tie on strands of lights and pull them up. I am not sure I would use this method in the future since the string gets tangled very easily.

It may be better to use hooks instead and then put zip ties on the end of your strands and then use a long stick with a nail on the end to hook it on.

You can see the string that I had to tie off on the bottom of my pole in the picture above. If somebody came along and used a knife to cut them all, all my strands would come crashing down. :shock:

If someone did cut those and they came down, they may only cut one or two before they realize "uh oh" and leave.

Did you place anything on the other end of the string to make sure that it does not go through the loophole at the top?

BetterDays wrote:

If someone did cut those and they came down, they may only cut one or two before they realize "uh oh" and leave.

Did you place anything on the other end of the string to make sure that it does not go through the loophole at the top?

I don't think anybody will be going in the center since there is only4 inch spacing at the bottom between the strands of lights.

On the other end of the string are the lights and they are much to big to go through the holes.

• 1 year later...