Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
John Garrant

You know this Christmas light thing has gone too far when...

You think every car driving down your street is coming to see your display.....

When you have to keep your hands in your pockets to keep from buying more lights before the after Christmas sale.

When you're not home andyou call home to make sure the show started OK.

When your wife refers to herself as "The Light Widow"

You know it is bad when:

.... Other people in the Store mistakes your cart as the store's restocking cart. Back, Back, BackI say.

Yes this does happen to me,... but i don't care, if they don't see what they need on the shelf, But they doin my cart, then they can get afew boxesout of my cart.

blearning wrote:

Scott wrote:

You start imagining how to decorate and synchronize someone else's house.

OOOOOOEEEEH that one hit home ... LOL

Or when someone asks you to decorate their house for them and THAT makes you want to puke.

Or you are standing out there greeting people and you've answered one of 3 questions for the 400th time tonight which includes:

1) How long did it take you to put up your display?

2) How big is your electric bill?

3)Is this your house??!?!

It's two days before Christmas and you're planning next years display.

Scottsgrfx wrote:

1>you start putting battery operated lights on your dog along with a set of antlers.

2> your already planning next years display and haven't finished this years yet.

Yeap number 2 is me. mmmm 2008....

You know when it has gone to far when....

Your teachers come to your display and realize why you have been slacking off, Then they decide to give you extra cradit for school ( two teachers) haha

You know when it has gone to far when....

You are listening to a Christmas song, the song ends, another starts, you panic wondering how this song go into the schedule and then you realize that you are listening to the CD or a commercial radio station.

... when you listen to other songs besides christmas (rock, country, hiphop, christian, etc) and think about how to synchronize them to the lights so that even a rap hater wud enjoy watching them lol

Aaron Bott wrote:

... when you listen to other songs besides christmas (rock, country, hiphop, christian, etc) and think about how to synchronize them to the lights so that even a rap hater wud enjoy watching them lol

Idon't even have Computer control andI do this. "Welcome to the Jungle" would be cool.

you know the christmas lights thing has gone too far when:

its december 27th and you add another sequence to THIS year's display

its december 27th and you are excited thats its only 10 months till beginning to put up the lights for next year's display

its december 27th and you cant wait for summertime....... so you can wire extra outlets for christmas lights.

-Christopher

BadSCR wrote:

You know it is bad when:

.... Other people in the Store mistakes your cart as the store's restocking cart. Back, Back, BackI say.

Yes this does happen to me,... but i don't care, if they don't see what they need on the shelf, But they doin my cart, then they can get afew boxesout of my cart.

I must say this happened to me this year on the day after. I was at Wally world the day after and one of the employees felt bad when they saw my two carts and gave me one of their "restocking flat beds" for a shopping cart. Once I had the cart everyone was asking me where I could find this or that until they realized I didn't work there. I actually could actually answer most of their questions though..."Do you guys have anymore blue rope light?" "No, they ran out about a week ago.":laughing:

You know this Christmas Light thing has gone too far when.....

You are seriously considering widening your 1/8th mile long lane so two cars can pass without getting off the drive. Rural folks in the midwest might understand given all the rain this past December. Lots of mud.

When the people at Lowes know you on a 1st name basis in December

When Cashiers ask you if you have a store

When you realize you should have upgraded your 200a to 300a as planned when it was buried. And curse the elecrician who talked you out of it "You'll NEVER use ALL that power!!" Now over 120a of lights

When load balancing for your display becomes very important

When you have more electric circuits for your lights/display then the entire house

When you are bringing more packages into the house & the wife asks you "Is this it!!??" And you nervously answer ...."yes..."

When you are STILL bringing packages into the house on Jan 15th & receive the same question....and supply the same answer

When you decide to build a 24 x 36' garage.....for the cars...yeah, yeah - that's it

And decide above the matching great room will be a 24 x 24' walk up attic

For house stuff, ...yeah, yeah - that's it

When you spend more time on E-Bay looking for more items & blow molds. And bid on items that you already have, but they are selling for less then what you paid. And you KNOW they are worth more. Never mind that the auction still has 5 days left

When you think that if you hit the Lottery the 1st thing you would do is buy a blow mold factory

When you decide to open a PT store in 2007 to try to at least break even on purchases

And POSSIBLY do this as a FT job next year!! :waycool:

...When you come home for lunch just so you can see if anything interesting was posted on PC in the last 4 hours. :shock:

Murl wrote:

...When you come home for lunch just so you can see if anything interesting was posted on PC in the last 4 hours. :shock:

OOPS.......i thought it was every hour

1. You run out of room in your yard and start decorating the neighbors yard too.

2. You find yourself googleing Chrsitmas decoration to get ideas for your next years display.

3. You find yourself bartering with the manager at HD to get a better deal in the after christmas sale.

4. You beg other PC memebers to buy any extra lights for next season because your area didn't carry enough stock.

5. You check out your window every ten minutes to make sure A. The lights are working and B. to see how many cars are outside looking at you lights.

You know this christmas lights thing has gone to far when....

Your wife is reading through all the listings above and keeps saying "yep thats you,Yep thats you"

I didn't even know this christmas lights thing could go to far,? Go Figure

you start considering that if you won the lottery you could buy 200 more channels and 20,000 more lights instead of paying off the bills from last christmas

You consider putting all your statis lights on the neighbors house to make more room for animations in your own yard

When you implement a plan for hiding money from your spouse so that you can spend it on your Christmas Display.

Ken

eldoradoboy wrote:

its december 27th and you are excited thats its only 10 months till beginning to put up the lights for next year's display

-Christopher

10 MONTHS, I am already behind schedule!!

Ken

The thought of doing a Mini-PLUS has crossed your mind

(even if you couldn't really host one...)

When you go to take down your lights and you don't have any place to put them

because you already filled the boxes with new lights you bought on sale after

Christmas.

You have been know to say things to your husband like: “If we were to ever win the Lottery we could buy the houses on either side of us and tear them down so we could have a really big Christmas display and still have our same address.”

:shock:

-Phyllis