Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
John Garrant

You know this Christmas light thing has gone too far when...

Guest johnny christmas

John Garrant wrote:

youre itching in April to put your lights up 7 months early just for kicks

When it's your birthday, and you don't really care, because all you can think about is Christmas!

26 years old today!:waycool:

When you map out the distances between all the Dicsount stores & your house

...and time how long it will take to go from one to the other

When you visit 2 Lowes, 3 HD's, 2 Targets, 2 Big Lots & other stores for after & pre-Christmas sales

When your Christmas list is:

Lights

...Minis

...LED's

...Strobes

Blow Molds

Inflatables

LOR

Extension cords

When you are happy you reduced your Chsristmas wattage use by almost 1000 watts. And your neighbors don't even use 1,000 watts for their entire display

When you are building a "sunroom" for storage

...and a garage

.........with a great room over it

...............and a walk up attic

....................and you have already added on 10' x 12' to the shed

.......................closing in underneath the deck (to be built) for more storage

When you realize your MIL has a big empty basment

and an empty 2nd floor

...and you think of what you could store there

When you use Outlook Calendat to remind you that Auctions are ending

For reminders to check out local stores for Holiday items

I am in the process of looking for another house (so my wife can operate her business out of it) and Christmas decorating is definitely one of the considerations!!!

roadnut wrote:

I am in the process of looking for another house (so my wife can operate her business out of it) and Christmas decorating is definitely one of the considerations!!!

I know a guy that has admitted reading the Realtor pages looking for something a little more styled for his lightshow...

Right? ...Brian...

I love this thread. I like the way it keeps popping up...

jeff

Guest johnny christmas

when you go to lowes to buy a tool for work and look around the whole store for stuff you can use to make something for your display with....or check out the extension cord prices to see if theyre on sale every time you go

1)when you keep coming back to this thread because you cant believe what you have just thought of and what month we are in.

2) when the nabors walk by your house and your hanging from the roof and they just nod there heads at you and you here them say something about that crazy light guy. oh ya but in April.

3)when you are trying to get to whole family to agree to letting me change our family's vacation just so i can go to plus. for real.

4) when you go out and buy a artist projector at $380.00 because the guy behind the counter says it helps you draw lines better for making wire frames. (I did that)

When you are sitting watching TV this evening and you tell your hubby, "We need to test fit our Santa set up tomorrow morning (saturday april 21st) so we can get back on scedule. Otherwise we will never get done." And you know the neighbors will just smile and wave as they drive by.

For your birthday your husband:

Is taking you to an Animated lighting class and ...

Buying you 2 new controllers

1.1 for my own display

2.1 for me to animate his parents’ house.:shock: Unless I get carried away and use it for ME! :laughing:

John Garrant wrote:

Your friendly ace hardware guy asks YOU for advice on extension cords.:laughing:

Mary Jayne wrote:

Your son says...he will help you clean outthe gutters on your house but he will not help you put up your lights, as he is not going to help further your addiction.

You begin to think like Wiley Coyote...Super Genius...and come up with all kind of ways to try something out for your display...only to have it fail time and again, but you do not give up. No...not even when the mega tree starts falling on your head and all you can do is hold up a little umbrella trying to fend it off. Then you actually wish there was a Acme company for you to call up and order all kind of neat things from. Like a jet pack, so you can reach the top peak of the house without a bucket truck.

WHAT? You mean there isn't a real ACME! :shock::shock::shock::tree::shock:

John Garrant wrote:

You walk into Lowes' and they call you by name!

well, I have been trying to convince the wife to get me a LOR controller for father's day, our anniversary, and my birthday combined.

she could really get off easy if she would just agree :?

… You redeem all those credit card points you earned traveling for work into Home Depot gift cards … and buy extension cords.

Or worse, get hired on at Home Depot or other home improvement store.There's no better excuseas to why you're there AGAIN.And what better way to keepan eye on the stock on hand and when things go on sale?

When your kids friends from school come over who have never been there before say YOUR the ones with the awesome lights?!

Guest johnny christmas

when your local electric company finds out what youre doing for christmas and quickly rewires the utility pole to suit your needs :P

hookup.jpg

Or when out looking for a new house, you pick the one with 17 roof lines ( possibilities), and a corner lot (exposure to the side and rear of the lot )..... (I'll add the outdoor power myself......)

But I do like the house.....Honestly......

MrsD wrote:

For your birthday your husband:

Is taking you to an Animated lighting class and ...

Buying you 2 new controllers

1.1 for my own display

2.1 for me to animate his parents’ house.:shock: Unless I get carried away and use it for ME! :laughing:

One of the new controllers you said was going to be used for animatingyour in-law's house is now and forever part of your own display ... :devil:

mine, Mine, MIne, MINe, MINE, ALL MINE!

Then you start thinking .. well maybe if I just get one of those small 4 circut controllers I would be able to let that one go over to the In-Law's house. ... Who am I kidding? NOT!

When you know.....

You are maxed to the limit on power on the 4 acres you have decorated, you get the bright idea, that all will run smoothly, if you don't turn on the ELECTRIC heat in the house until AFTER the lights are turnedOFF each night.....

Brrrrrrrr....

It worked out great for a couple weeks......until.........one busy Friday night. (the night we were in the newspaper, of course and half the county was in our driveway) Not really half the countybut it felt thatway later on....

So here we were with 2 circle driveways full of cars driving around enjoying our display, plus there were people walking around it too, when hubby slips away for a sec...

I think he is going inside to the bathroom....

Noooooooooooooo......Hehad gottenhungry, andwent inside and turned on the OVEN to bake himself a frozen pizza....

You guessed it....

POOF.......Everything goes dark......Everything in our yard only that is....Grrrrr LOL

Everybody else had power to their houses.

Nowhubby and Iare brrrrr-ing and grrr-ing.......;).......... AND trying to deal with traffic control (everybody just stopped their carswhere they were when the lights went out LOL...and no one turned their headlights on ...LOL) plus we werehelping those walking in the dark, find their way to their cars. (It was hilarious to say the least). :laughing:

Didhubby trip breakers in the house? Oh no, it couldn't be that simple....It couldn't be something we could fix ourselves....We needed the power company for our problem.....because....................

When hubby turned on the oven, ittripped the breaker on the transformer on the power pole. :waycool:

Lessons learned reallllllllllllllllllllllll fast....

(1) Always have one "corded" phone hooked up, so you can call the power company more efficiently,...(Here they use your home phone tolog calls much faster)....(we hadall cordless ones which of course went out of commission with the power out)...and of course, we had no idea where we had put our cell phones at that moment...)

(2) Always know where your flashlights are (and have new batteries in them), so you can rescue the people in your yard from the "dark")

(3) Always make sure hubby eats BEFORE lights go on...

and most importantly....

(4) Give hubby phone number to local pizza delivery ........just in case.

PS ... Power company upgraded our transformer the next day.

.....When you use TWO DIFFERENT sequencing programs because you like the features of one for sequencing and features of the other for playback/scheduling!