You know this Christmas light thing has gone too far when...

You know the Christmas light thing has gone too far (in some people's opinion, not necessarily your own) when folks start driving by your house 2 weeks before Thanksgiving just to see what you're putting up this year.

Or, when contemplating your ownfuneral plans, you decide there should be some ceremonial "dimming of the lights" at yourservice.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... you , at this very moment have in your pocket either a christmas light bulb, a fragment of a shiny UL cord tag, loose staplesor a green wire tie.

Go ahead, look...... See? I told you so!

... you know what a shiny UL cord tag looks like.

Guest johnny christmas

Entropy wrote:

... you , at this very moment have in your pocket either a christmas light bulb, a fragment of a shiny UL cord tag, loose staplesor a green wire tie.

Go ahead, look...... See? I told you so!

... you know what a shiny UL cord tag looks like.

i have a fuse...does that count? lol

you are sorting through lights at various stores and people come up to you asking where the 20ct clear mini lights are.

This happened to me today. I was at Rite Aid trying to find White lights with white wire a lady assumed I worked there since I was moving boxes 10 at a time search through them. I told her I didn't work there but I that I could help her find them. I found them in about 10 seconds and she was grateful.

When the icicle lights are dancing to the music, the window posters are glowing great at night, the garage door covers came in and will be put up this weekend. All is going well:laughing: Then a deer runs across our back deck, four racoons are eating my cat food on the front porch and a armadillar runs across the yard. The lady at the bank says my house looks good, and when I asked her when she saw it she said saturday around lunch. I bet the lights were really humming about then:laughing: Also my leg lamp is burning nicely in the front window. I just want to run out in thefront yard and holler Merry Christmas Mr. Potter.Ain't life great. Maybe I ain't worth killing but ain't it great to be alive.

DUB

GS wrote:

Bill,

Your extension cord bundles are as big as speed bumps, I'm surprised they don't glow in the dark :laughing:

I guess i have broken a gone to far barrier of sorts....The five mile barrier has been brushed to the wayside.

• 2 weeks later...

1. your wife wakes you up because your having a dream about your christmas light displaywith a smile on your face and your wife thinks the dream is about her. OOPS ! " True story" :laughing:

2. when you apply for a job at Home Depot or Lowes just to get a employee discount on chrismtas lights and decorations.:waycool:

3. Whe you run out of power outletsfor your display and you sneak into your neighber's back yard to plug in extension cords running from their house to your display.:smilingelf:

4. when the power company sends you a check to buy back the electricity you are using because they have a power shortage. :rudolph:

5. when you are writing a christmas present list for things you want, and all you have on the list is christmas lights, controllers and extension cords, instead of new cloths because you jeans have holes in the knees, new shoes because the bottom of your shoes are flapping and falling off.:}

6. when people are coming to your house to buy lights off you because you baught out every set of lights at the hardware store.:laughing:

When you have redom strangers come up and ask you how much your electric bill is. I swear that has happened to me 8+ more times when I've been outside.

When random people come up and ask what time your yard sale is opening up. Happend the first day I had my display set up.

Mary Jayne wrote:

Clark Griswold...you consider him just another Christmas Lightamateur.

you see display's like griswalds and think i've seen better or could do better.

You go to 5 stores on the day after christmas looking for lights.

You buy lights buy the palate

you have to get industrial service to your house to run the lights.

Your looking forward to getting a raise because it means you can buy more lights

It has been a while since I posted on this thread but here goes:

1. When you have to set up cones in you Cul de Sac and ask a neighbor to help you direct traffic.
  2. When you start wondering which of you three (or more or less) kids will follow in your footsteps and carry the lighting torch.
  3. You find yourself having to upgrade you subpanel in the middle of the holiday season.
  4. You and your neighbor start planning for next year to combine your displays into one Giant Display. That will be us next year. My neighbor and I own the entire Cul de Sac and we are uniting as one!

Michael McConkie wrote:

You go to 5 stores on the day after christmas looking for lights.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:I went to 4 within 4 hours, i was practically running through the stores to get to the seasonal department for the lights.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

~ You are waiting and waiting for Wal-Mart to go 75% off on Christmas stuff so you can get those last decorations!

~ You get stuff on sale after Christmas AND STILL GO OUTSIDE AND PUT IT UP!

~ You drive the people you live with insane talking about how you can't wait for the after Christmas sales.

~ Even though you are sicker than a dog, you still go out on the day after Christmas to hit the light sales.

~ You've learned that even when you don't have intentions of buying much, you always get a shopping cart, when going to the Christmas department.

Guest johnny christmas

christmaslover012 wrote:

~ You get stuff on sale after Christmas AND STILL GO OUTSIDE AND PUT IT UP!

i was guilty of that last year but this year im holding back lol

...you're not an engineer nor an electrician yet you understand:

The concept of voltage drop.

Series vs. parallel circuits.

The concept of electrical current.

How a GFCI works and what current causes it to trip.

How a circuit breaker differs from a GFCI.

How many amps you can put on a 12, 14, 16 and 18 gauge wire off the top of your head.

The difference between full-wave and half-wave recitification of AC circuits.

You know the size of the main breaker into your house main panel.

You know the size of your neighbor's main breaker and how many amps he's not using.