Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Colson

How many Lights do you have? Really!

I know personally that I have 3,000 on the roof and another 2910 on the ground so far ( I actually keep track). I still have another 6-800 to put up (garland) and then a 2,000 light tree. I may still have another 200 or so if I put up another tree outside.

Since I have very limited power, I have to keep track due to electrical loads...

However, comparing my display to displays on here is similar to me comparing my arms to yours.... :laughing:

12522, but who's counting ? :laughing:I'm waiting for some of the guys with really big displays to post andmake us all say, "holy cow"!

D.T.

Good number, that is counting the LEDs on the controllers and the computer power light! :laughing:

--Daniel L

What I say - 60k, actually - anywhere from 45k to 55k (I don't count anymroe - there just too much)

But, it add up fast - 28 mini tree's each with 400 lights = 11200, 2000 on one tree, 5000 on another. A huge bush along the driveway - about 10000 (its 40 feet long, and 6' by 6')

And this doesn't count everything on the house itself, two large tree, so - my estimates are "decent"

As ofright now - with three plastic tubs of lights to go up (12already up) Iam pulling 95 amps of current with everything on.

I actually keep track to. Can compare to the big guys out there but so far I have

16,193 minis

108' of rope lt

2 inflatables

3 wireframes

37 blowmolds

13 light stakes

I have the items to make a few arches if I get time this weekend. And my yard is still dark I think so I need to try and get more out somehow.

Peggy

I honestly have never counted how many lights we have. Its never been important to me.IMO its the heart behind the display that matters,not the # of lights.

LisaJ wrote:

I honestly have never counted how many lights we have. Its never been important to me.IMO its the heart behind the display that matters,not the # of lights.

I only count to check the loads on the outlets.

Next year (if I do it again), I will have approximately half of the lights.

Something clicked this year... Something that made me a little unhappy with me....

I agree Lisa.

But:laughing: I know the following: Mega Tree 8,100 lights plus to strobes

Mega Mini trees 4000

mini trees 36" 6,900

Mini trees 30"11,400

Snowflakes 3,600

Helicopter 1,100

Oh forget it I am finished adding.

That's usually what I say about then.

I think I have about 8,000 up right now and still going. The trees and bushes take the most for my display. One tree it takes 200 bulbs for one circle around it.

I've said I have 30,000, lets add them up

8 strands of icicles at 300 each 2400

2 wearths at 300 each 600

2 arches at 250 each500

2 minitomato cage tree 330 each 660

10 strands of 100 on house and porch 1000

mega tree 3600

18 trees wrapped as candy canes 500 each 9000

35 small candy canes 25 each875

34 mini trees at 300 each 10200

pengiun pond

rope light 300

8 strands100 1100

total 29935

O.k. i fudged justa bit:] james

Guest Marc

We have also counted and keep and inventory of what we have and how many lights are on each piece so we have justr about 110000 out this year

My wife and I counted every light as we put them up and kept on running total on the workbench. Final total 18,432 and just over 1 mile of extension cord.

Mega tree 5 colors 18 strands each = 9000

minis 7 @ 8 strands each =5600

bushes 5 colors 12 each= 6000

misc minis =1200

total minis=21800

strobes =20

inflateables= 1

c9's=12 strands of 25=300

I own around 15000 lights however I only have 55 AMPs of power to work with. This year I have exatly 8000 lights. I was so amaized it worked out like that!

I make an Excel chart because I like to monitor power consumption but also number of sets, lights etc.

50 Amps

8000 lights

89 sets.

I have kept track this year and so far this newbie has put up11,845 lights and 29 wire frames with who knows how many lights on them.The front yard is about a half acre so there is still more room . Also i have 7, six foot spiral rope light trees.Gosh,no wonder I am so tired.I shall try to put up a bit more though before Friday nights light up.Some of the neighbors are looking forward to it as am I. Larry:tree::waycool::tree::tree::tree: