Visit from the local PD

Hello Guys and Girls

Tonight I had a visit from the local PD five minutes before the show was scheduled toend. Someone complained that my display was to bright.:( The officer said he really can't do any thing about it.:] But he had to come out. Whata bummer it is the first official night for the lights to be on. I was planning to run the show from 5 to 10PMon the weekdays and 5 to 11 PM on the weekends. With a FM transmitter no speakers outside. Last night I was finishing a few last details and different officer stop to say how nice the display looked and even asked me for some advice on setting his lights up.:] My excitement just got knocked down a peg. Any advice?

Thanks Kevin

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. Will after this weekend my sprites are backup.:]Who ever said if you build it they will come. They were right they came. Folks love itand even thanked me for doing it. Boy word does travel fast.

I did alter the show a little bit by turning the 44 strobe off in the Mega tree at 9:30 PM on the weekend and 9:00 PM on the weekdays. Maybe this will makethe complainer I have a little happier. The traffic does slow down latter in the evening so I am ok withturningthe strobes off. But we will see what I am going to do as it gets closer to Christmas.:]

Kevin

• 5 weeks later...

ka3tno wrote:

Tonight I had a visit from the local PD five minutes before the show was scheduled toend. Someone complained that my display was to bright.:(

I would like to ask what seems obvious to me. Did you consider dimming the entire display after some arbitrary time of night? It just might be that the person who called found themselves unable to sleep with the extra light comming into a bedroom. (Or their child couldn't sleep.) So the simple solution is to simply dial it back a notch. Further this would lower your power bill.

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

I find very few people out after 9p

I run it later on the weeknds & closer to Christmas

But I'm on a dead end street & this is the 1st year w/15,000 lights

Next year with 45,000 lights I think I maybe noticed more

I will also have close to 100 blow molds (or more)

Only about 7 inflatables

I have a small front yard

Maybe I should invade the neighbors yard!! :smile:

we had a problem with people complaining they were not on late enough, after all the media coverage we had we had to change our turn off time from 11:00 pm to 12:00, there were lines of traffic and the lights were shutting off at 11:00 and irritated quite a few people.

in your situation i would add as many lights as you possibly could, you are doing nothing to break any laws, and if they don't like it, mail them sunglasses, no matter what you do, short of turning the lights of totally, will please this person

bob

You really don't want lines of traffic on your street at 11pm or later, unless you have the world's most tolerant neighbors, or unless you really want civil action...

People will complain about when your lights go off no matter what the time. I occasionally had people sit outside and beep the horn. It's a good thing they drove off, because each time they did that I was pulling on my coat to head out and give them a piece of my mind. We posted hours on our website and on the media coverages... Do they sit outside of Target at 11pm and honk their horn, hoping someone will open up so they can shop? I think not.

-Tim

My signs and any info I put out said my display ran 5 - 8 pm. This kept the bulk of the crowds to 6:30 - 8:30, so shutting down by 9:00 pm was usually not a problem. My neighbor stilled called the police every night. It really added extra security because word got out in the police department and they came every night with their families.

Hello Guys

Thanks for your input. Sorry it has taken me a little while to get back in here. ButI am sure you all know how it is when the lights are on and afterwards when everything has to come down. Luckily the police were pretty cool with the display. With the exception of one of them. I guess he doesn't like to do paper work when he gets a call to come out. One of my complaints was the lights were to bright.Who ever it was will have to wait till 2007 display. I am taking JR,s advice I will be putting out another 10.000 to the 20.000 I have now.01 I did alter the show by turning off the 44 strobes at 9:00 PM. I normally turned the lights out at 9:30 on the weekdays and 10:30 on the weekends.The other complaint was people where blocking my neighbors driveways. I put a lighted sign at the end of my display right across from their driveways and had a message transmitted not to block them. But some people just don't get it. Well its all over for this year. We will see what comes next year. Also To Tim we didour mega tree like yours and it worked out great. The only thing I did was used a 22 foot 1 1/2" steel pipe and walked it up. The video you didhelped a lotespecially how to do the base of the tree.Thanks for spending the time to do it.

Kevin