Fatality

RickDives

Okay, so I had figured into my budget to purchase a scrolling LED sign. Little weird to program, but it was effective. Sunday, the thing fried. Just stopped working. Stopped scolling and would no longer announce "Merry Christmas, Tune your radio to 95.5FM, Show times at 6:00, 7:00 and 8:00 weather permitting". (I mean, this thing was about $200!). So, while I fight with Office Depot (they don't fight much, BTW) I had to get a sign up and I've already lost all my creativity. So, I found this place...

http://www.buildasign.com

And, what a cool place it is! They have a couple Christmas templates that you can use, change the words a little and BAMMO! For about $25, they have a nice sign made for you...

Just thought I'd share...

• 1 year later...

re: buildasign web site ... I can't seem to find any christmas templates to start with on that site. Can you tell me what links you clicked on to get started with yours? I find the site kind of dis-orienting, as I keep going in circles ... and don't want a real estate or 'for sale' sign ... so I'm at a loss how to find anything remotely christmas looking to customize.

I haven't used them, but messing around a little it seems like they are completely customizable there's one with snowflakes that would be a good starting point. You can change graphics, text,font, and background color. You can change all of them the same way.

http://www.buildasign.com/Listings.aspx?s=2&m=8&pid=1219&cid=1509

Thanks, I just realized that no matter which one I choose, I can then customize it and deleted it all and start over if I want to. Pretty cool !!

I haven't really come up with a name for our display ... but plan to.

Any advice on what the sign should say besides 'tune to 101.3 FM' ?

I know I've read threads about how people always seem to be confused at first.

Good idea -- I have seen some sign stores locally and would like to support them, provided I don't pay double.

For those that have tried various things for a sign ... which works best? A spotlight on a sign, a sign made out of lights, or a scrolling sign of some kind?

I was originally thinking I would make my own ... and following another members idea, make it look like a car stereo radio and then put my frequency in it, with mini lights.

I've seen many signs before, and they typically are poorly lit and hard to read without getting out of the car. So I'd like mine to be readable, so folks don't feel the need to get out of the car to see it.

My first sign was LOW LOW LOW budget. I made it with coro and markers. I'd take it in everyother week and re color the red because the weather would remove it .It is an example of what to say on the sign. It looked alright from the street. It has red ropelight around the outside and a spotlight shining directly on it. This year I'm having real road type signs made up. one of my visitors works for a local town's roadsign department and said he'd make me up a couple:]

tunetosign300.jpg

That a nice sign.

Is there any science behind choosing the best FM frequency to use, or just try unused channels till you get one that works the best?

Where I live, there really isn't a spot on the dial where you can go more than .2 without hitting another station ... so I was thinking of going to a popular christmas station and then using the empty slot just above it ... so if it was 101.1 ... I would go to 101.3 ... which is as static filled as any I can find. My logic was that they might already be on the christmas station (as we do when driving around) ... so make it easier?

Better not get TOO close on the dial or people may inadvertently listen to the other station thinking that it's yours.

This happened to me this year. I friend of mine brought his mother by. He had seen it last year and was a bit confused by the "Totally <non-Christmassy word> music" I had this year. He finally noticed the radio had stopped on a station just next to mine.

taybrynn wrote:

That a nice sign.

Is there any science behind choosing the best FM frequency to use, or just try unused channels till you get one that works the best?

Where I live, there really isn't a spot on the dial where you can go more than .2 without hitting another station ... so I was thinking of going to a popular christmas station and then using the empty slot just above it ... so if it was 101.1 ... I would go to 101.3 ... which is as static filled as any I can find. My logic was that they might already be on the christmas station (as we do when driving around) ... so make it easier?

In the past, this site has been recommended to use to locate an available frequency. It is pretty good although this past season it showed the frequency I used in 2006 as available and I found that air1 had a broadcast signal there. I suspect it was a recent addition so the web site did not reflect it. It does now.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant

Thank you for that link! I will use them when I am ready. Will certainly help me when I go to make a sign, but if I make it from CORO via them, I will have to come up with a way to light it, spot lights I guess, huh? I cant imagine it would backlight that well, yeah?

Thanks!