250,000 lights on this dude's house in Boston, check it out!

jeffostroff

Like the lights and his enthusiasm. But I don't think browbeating your neighbors into submission is the best way to instill the Christmas spirit within them.

If he rips down his displays and lights and throws them away and starts new each year - well, if I lived in Boston I'd be giving this guy a call !!! Free lights!:shock:

Quite honestly........ I don't even like how it is looking, I am not a fan of the "throwing up as much crap as possible"

But, I do agree - he's being a tad rude to his neighbors. Here in Arizona (Scottsdale) there was a gentlemen that was the same way, and the city ended up shutting him down permanitly.

When I put up my lights, I try to be courteous to my neighbors.

I would like to understand this part:

"In months where he has the lights on, Luberto says , his electricity bill is about $1,100 -- about 10 times his normal bill." It says his house is 8,500 square feet.

My house isn't even 1/4 of that size and my monthly electrical bill is more than $110. I need to know how to do that!!

matt tyndall wrote:

I would like to understand this part:

"In months where he has the lights on, Luberto says , his electricity bill is about $1,100 -- about 10 times his normal bill." It says his house is 8,500 square feet.

My house isn't even 1/4 of that size and my monthly electrical bill is more than $110. I need to know how to do that!!

They don't have TXU... that's how they do that.

EAB wrote:

He's 1,374 miles away... It may be cheaper for me to raid Wall-to-Wall mart after Christmas...
well i'm only 90 miles away and if i'm at work it's only 30 miles away.

i think for all those lights 1:30 may be a little late to keep on. i only have 21,000 lights and i know how bright that is and for my neighbors. i shut them off at 9:00 (will keep them on longer the closer christmas is)

remember quality over quantity

our electric bill every month is only 35$ (were on a budget) and our house is over 1,500 sq.ft. but with the 25k lights, it really doesn't change it much, our neighbors tell me they usually pay near 20$ a month and there houses are larger. so i guess the electric bill isn't that bad. if he throws away his lights every year, i might have to make a trip to boston and gobble them up. i could use them for many a year. maybe 10 or 20. untill they all don't work anymore, and his neighbors, i got an idea, this is what i would do, put up a 50ft. fence all the way around the yard except for where the street is, because they sound a little snotty to me. personally if i were to spend over a million on a house i would probably build a house on a huge piece of land, to put lights all over and let people drive thru. :laughing::laughing:i wonder how much my electric bill would be then.

I think running the lights till 1:30 am is a bit to much. I live on a culdasac and the neighbors love my house. BUT,I run my lights till around 8:30 at night sun-thur. Fri-sat nights,i run them till around 10 or so. I have already warned my neighbors about it growing bigger and bigger every year.:waycool:

Sounds like someone with way too much money :shock:and no courtesy:devil:for the neighbors to me. I would complain too about lights being on until 1:30AM.

...purchased[the house]last year for $1.65 million, according to the city's property records.

I'll put out my donation bucket if he has some extra cash :laughing:.

Tex

FandomFilms wrote:

I saw that in USA Today a few days ago and he gives us a bad name. I'd complain about the 1:30 am end of show myself. Plus if I read right he pays someone to put those up. Heck if I pay some one does that mean I should be in the news? I guess this one just chaps my hide.

Brian, the story I just read said he does this himself with his brother, scrambling up and down ladders- not paying anyone to put them up.

I admire his dedication, but I don'tshare his attitude at all. Perhaps the reporter skewed it, which is a very real possibility, but this quote:

"People in the back, they don't like it," he shrugs. "Well, too bad. It's Christmas."

really offended me. Too me "It's Christmas" does not mean ramming something down people's throats with a "shrug". Christmascertainly does notgive onelicense to be thoughtless of other's feelings.

His lights blaze until 1:30 a.m. and he plans to run them longer? Very considerate guy - I'm sure Jesus is proud of him for his caring attitude.Throws out all his lights and starts over each year? Wasteful and lazy.

My personal opinion, not that anyone asked, but based on the story I just read, thisman is an arrogant, rude, and self important person whohas missed the "point". Whether he puts up250,000 or1 million lights, his attitude doesn't reflect what I believe isthe true spirit of Christmas.:(

Just my.2

chris03852 wrote:

consider yourself lucky, i have the worse electrical company in the state -my average bill is just under $200 :X, with my lights i see another $100 -$150 increase

Same here... Mine runs $100 a month with nothing but the basics on.. I expect it will at least double this month. UGH!

Jeff in Alaska

Hi All

1. I dont what to make of the guy in Boston. Sounds like he came into alot of money and wanted to just throw money out. Just dont know and as for the newspaper, well.....we know how well the newspapers report the truth....

2. As for my electric bill.....I cant remember when I have seen a bill below $125 and this summer...well try around $200. So you can guess what MY light bill will this year. Last year, I had a $382 bill for one month with my lights

3. So, based on this, if ya going to play with lights, then I guess I will suffer the bill.....Man, I should have bought stock in Progress Energy.

Merry Christmas Everyone

The Sheuring Family

www.ChristmasSheuring.com

I wish there were some better photos of this place.

I certainly can't find 250,000 lights....nice mega tree type there in the yard with some food lights on the house..... but I want to see the rest of the display. If there is 250,000 lights the reporter did a crappy job on taking pictures.

He does seem to have a bit of an attitude. He must live on a main commercial road to have 45,000 cars a day.

Tom

Ozark

That house will be on a Discovery Channel special but I don't know when. I know that Discovery Channel spent 2 days there filming, so hopefull we'll see better shots then. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let everyone know.

BTW, don't forget about HGTV's special on over the top Christmas light displays called

"What's With That Christmas House?"

First showing at December 10, 9PM Eastern.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/spcl_prsntn/episode/0,1806,HGTV_3909_47483,00.html

OK, I think i found the Discovery special that will feature the guy's house, but I'm not sure. I think Discovery owns TLC right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. TLC has a show airing this month too called

"Crazy Christmas Lights"

"This special goes inside the homes and lives of the craziest holiday decorators. Experience the madness when holiday decorating is taken to a whole new level! Get up close and see what happens when homeowners go over the top with their holiday displays."

http://tlc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=55401&gid=14423&channel=TLC