does anyone else use there neighbors lawn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tfischer wrote:

Last night one of my neighbors told me that we are going to Burn in Hell for celebrating Christmas in such a blasphemous way. "What do candy canes have to do with the Bible? What does Snoopy have to do with the Bible? What about a John Deere TRACTOR". The other neighbor next door told me that we have completely ruined Christmas for them-- they no longer celebrate at all, even put up a tree. We were called hypocrites, and told we were ruining their lives.

It sounds to me like these other neighbors have been influenced by the original complaining neighbor. I guess these peoplenever told their kids that there wasa santa claus since they are proclaiming thatany "non-religious" Christmas traditions are blasphemous. They also seem to have overlooked some of the main teachings of the Bible such as "Judge not lest ye be judged."

TED

hi ya Ted,

Want to make them really beweldered, next yearbuy each of them a nice christmas card and a small box ofcandies.

Take your whole family to each of their houses and sayMerry Christmas and present them with your gifts.

!!!DON'T TAKE A FRUIT CAKE!!!!

This gesture of goodwill works very well with most neighbors changing their minds & its in the spirit of giving.

We have 2 Muslim families who love our lights but do not keep our faith and they always look forward to our lights of the season.

Try that this season, one has to be a true grinch to keep complaining.

I live in a townhouse, and on one side we have perfect neighbors who aren't terribly interested in putting up lights but love looking at them, and they've pretty much given me carte blanche to put up lights in their yard. This gives me a total of about 400 square feet of yard. Yippee.

However, I also got the OK to decorate my in-laws' SFH next year, with a huuuuge yard and about 3x the power cap! I'm giddy...

tfischer wrote:

Last night one of my neighbors told me that we are going to Burn in Hell for celebrating Christmas in such a blasphemous way. "What do candy canes have to do with the Bible? What does Snoopy have to do with the Bible? What about a John Deere TRACTOR". The other neighbor next door told me that we have completely ruined Christmas for them-- they no longer celebrate at all, even put up a tree. We were called hypocrites, and told we were ruining their lives.

It has nothing to do with traffic, or noise, or blinking lights. They're just freaks.

-Tim

Just tell them that you're celebrating the Winter Solstice with all of those fancy decorations. Tell them that you celebrate Christmas at church in a more dignified manner.

tfischer wrote:

-Tim

Tim, Perhaps they would feel better if you show them how they can witness with simple things in your display such as CANDY CANES! You can print this out and hand out with your candy canes!

Though some claim that the candy cane was "invented to tell the story", this is probably an urban myth. However, just as the US FLAGuses colors (red, white & blue) and shapes (stars & stripes) to symbolize values and ideals that shaped our country, you can still use the elements of thecandy cane to help remember and symbolize the story of Jesus.

There are various stories about how the candy cane got its stripes and flavor (just google the word candy cane), Hope this helps!

Kathy

The Meaning of the Candy Cane

The fascinating story behind the candy cane ... The birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ are signified through the elements of the candy cane ~

JESUS CHRIST is ....

• our Good Shepherd (staff shape) ~ 1 Pt. 5:4
  • our Rock (hard candy) ~ 1 Cor. 10:4
  • our Sinless Savior (white) ~ 2 Cor. 5:21
  • our Sacrifical Lamb (red) ~ Eph. 1:7

The STRIPES symbolize pain inflicted upon Jesus before his death on the cross and a bold stripe to represent the blood he shed for mankind. The three stripes can also represent the power and presence of the Trinity (the Father, Son and Holy Spirit).

The smell and taste of PEPPERMINT relate to the herb hyssop. Psalm 51:7 states,

"Purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean, wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

The candy cane is meant to be shared -- broken into pieces for all to share. That

reminds us of Jesus' words, "This is my body which is broken for you" (1 Cor. 11:24).

What a sweet way to share the Gospel ! And you just thought it was good candy :-)

080838.jpg

6a00c225257fdaf21900d09e4c0527be2b-500pi

• 2 weeks later...

Santaman wrote:

Want to make them really beweldered, next yearbuy each of them a nice christmas card and a small box ofcandies.

Take your whole family to each of their houses and sayMerry Christmas and present them with your gifts.

!!!DON'T TAKE A FRUIT CAKE!!!!

This gives me the best idea yet. If I had Tim's neighbors (the one in particular) I'd send them a fruitcake!!!

TED

• 2 months later...

mrlights2000 wrote:

i use my nieghbors lawn as welll as mine they just keep saying "keep bringing it over we dont care" so thats what i do. does anyone else do this

danny

I may do that this year. It will be my first animated lighting year and we live in a small townhome (as if there were any LARGE townhomes:laughing:). The neighbors didn't decorate last year and we get along very well so I think it may be a go.

Of course if I do the yards, I may as well do the walls, trees, fences........:devil:

Santaman wrote:

I have 6 of my neighbors crype myrtles doneup in 1800 to 2000 lites each.He's cool about it butI still wont let him borrow my chainsaw.:laughing:

If he has Crepe Myrtle, you'd better NOT let him have that chainsaw! He might "trim" it and ruin the look!:laughing::devil::laughing:

Nasgul wrote:

I live in a townhouse, and on one side we have perfect neighbors who aren't terribly interested in putting up lights but love looking at them, and they've pretty much given me carte blanche to put up lights in their yard. This gives me a total of about 400 square feet of yard. Yippee.

However, I also got the OK to decorate my in-laws' SFH next year, with a huuuuge yard and about 3x the power cap! I'm giddy...

Any chance I could get some photos of your display? I'm in a townhome as well and, well...... not much room (NO KIDDING, SHERLOCK!:laughing::devil::laughing:).

Would like to see how you did your 'half-mega-tree'.

tfischer wrote:

It has nothing to do with traffic, or noise, or blinking lights. They're just freaks.

I'm not kidding.

You people with accommodating neighbors, even you folks with grumbly ones that generally put up with it -- please walk over tonight and give them a big hug and thank your God in Heaven that you don't live next to mine.

-Tim

Could you tell what abomination..... errr denomination they are?

The salvation story can be told in a candy cane, so are they still evil?

Jesus was a carpenter and hung out with the fishermen. I would guess he hung out with the farmers too. Farmers use tractors as tools. Jesus spoke of spreading the gospel as "sowing seed". So is farming evil?

Snoopy is a faithful friend who never speaks badly of anyone (since he doesn't speak at all). We could all use friends like that.

Just rambling..... sounds like your 'neighbors' may be miserable, misdirected people. Pity them, but don't listen too closely. It's just their opinion. Personally I haven't found anything in the Bible saying "thou shalt not have Christmas lights".

• 1 month later...

some ppl are just plain old scrooges. in fact, i have someone in my town that has in big letters in lights "BAH-HUM-BUG" lol. he's cool tho. And my neighbor is like....97 i think. she's gunna hate me. but she doens't leave the house anyways..lol.

Tim, I think your neighbors are just jealous!Some religious people are so legalistic that, any creative way to share your faith is a threat to their closed minded thinking! Others are just cheap and quick to condemn things they deem are a waste of money! And, WHAT POWER YOU HAVE - to be able to destroy a neighbor's whole Christmas season! :shock::P

• 1 month later...

Jeff_Womack wrote:

I have been using my neighbors yard for years. Last year we came to an agreement. I would decorate and I got to use the outlet on his front porch! I usually try to stay pretty lite in his yard but this year have done a lot more but with LEDs. He comes out pretty good in the deal.

First year my street side neighbor moved in and saw what I did, he wanted in, but we werent prepared with controllers so we had to run 100 ft cords (his) from my stuff to his yard. After that he got $1000 of his own controllers, his own electricity, lights, etc all he wants from me is the controlling signal to animate them. Of course one part of the deal was to add 3 or 4 spanish language Christmas songs which in a high latino area like we are, I was already on that wave length with him.

I may brag about my stuff, but I have to admit, Oscar next door has spent trice as much money on his display then I have. You think I am into it... this neighbor keeps me fueled on this hobby more then I naturally would be. Our families went to Acapulco with their family, we go to these outstanding discos overlooking Acapulco Bay... what was the only thing we could talk about??? Looking at the disco lights and how could be implement these fancy lights in our displays at home! The girls all hate to hear about Christmas in summer and especially on vacation in Acapulco so they all went and danced together discusted while the 3 men of the 3 displays just carried on about Christmas lights!

tfischer wrote:

I'm not kidding.

You people with accommodating neighbors, even you folks with grumbly ones that generally put up with it -- please walk over tonight and give them a big hug and thank your God in Heaven that you don't live next to mine.

Oh my, Tim, I am soooo sorry to hear that. That would take the wind out of my sails to hear something like that. Do you really draw that big of a crowd?

You know what you need to do? Get some latino neighbors. My neighbors that participate told me its a spanish/latin tradition to "celebrate the birth of Christ" with parties and festivities. Its Fiesta Navidad! To spanish people its a natural to go all out as far as you can do and set up a happy celebratory climate at Christmas. Here we are looking at 2007, we are modifying our display name to "Rawls Road Christmas Celebration" or spanish version as our neighbor is arranging radio commercials on the Latino FM music station "Rawls Road Fiesta Navidad" and he's already got arrangements for co-workers who also have their own garage "Mariachi Band" to come on weekends and walk around playing to the crowds. To me I might be 5th generation Tampanian, spanish decent by way of once a Spanish Subjects in the Florida Colony of Spain, I dont know hardly a word of spanish but to me that IS Christmas! Party, hang out, open up house and yards and have an endless Christmas party and the whole city is invited!

What is that verse about..... Judge Not.... :?

Tell them folks at Planet Christmas will be praying that someday they'll seethe "LIGHT" (s)

You need to do "Decorations" , that will really spazz them out when it gets to the part about.... "God appreciates my, plugged in, tribute to the Savior". :D

Ken

I have a problem, I just don't have enough time.

Last year, I discussed adding some lights to my neighbors houses, they all agreed. I just didn't get around to it. They have let me know in uncertain terms, that they expect some action this year. They have a good time kidding me that if I don't put out some more lights, they are actually going to have to put out some themselves.

For Halloween, I have to use my neighbors yard. I just have too many airblowns. I got most of them out, but it is pretty windy. Thedaily upkeepis getting interesting. My neighbor complained that I didn't put enough in his yard. I hope to acquire a few more this year so that he won't complain so loudly at the block parties.

My neighbor asked me tonight if I was going to use his yard this year."Well ya if you insist". :laughing:

I told him if he buys the lights I'll build it.Just what I need to do is start another Christmas project.I can't get my owndone.:cryingsong:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Toymakr000 wrote:

I'm creating an attention getter with my neighbor across the street. A snowball fight between two snowmen one on our side one on his. 18 channels, 7 + foot tall snowmen. 1500' of wire. It's gunna be cool!

wow... that's an awesome idea... make sure you video that!!!

Colin

• 1 month later...

My neighbors were talking about my Halloween setup & once again said I win the prize for setup. I said it can't get any bigger, I'm running out of room

They said well start filling up our yard!!

I don't think I will for Halloween, but I think I will definitely approach them about Christmas. There is a fence between our property - post & beam - easy enough to see thru. But I'm thinking a few inflatables & blow molds on that side of the fence would help "eliminate" the fence from the view of the display

I'm not worried about the electric, I will still plug it into my power

Well, unless I start kicking the main breaker

There son is very religous since a near death incident years ago

He liked the nativity display on the porch roof

I'm thinking possibly a smaller nativity on that side of the fence

Something that will look good & be tasteful, unlike my large display :laughing: