Xavierlights Takes Major Damage

Scott Loftus

I think the headlines speaks for itself.

Last night during the ice/snow storm, My display took a major hit.

My pride and joy- the mega tree has been totally destroyed due to all the ice on it.

I also had a 12 ft spiral tree that is in about 20 pieces.

ALot of trees down and we are still without power. Power has been out since 4am yesterday. It was getting a little cold in the house, so we are now staying with family on the west side of Springfield until power can be restored. I have several photos of the ice, but since this is not my computer, I did not bring the camera along. As soon as I can, I will upload the photos. But I will say this.....

XAVIERLIGHTS WILL RISE AGAIN SOON.........

To Be continued......................................

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to bad to u guys iam so sorry i feel your pain because it happed to me up in north idaho we got a lot of snow and wind making it hard to keep my display up and runing i had to take a string down on my mailbox do to the weather i do feel your pain

Scott Loftusu will come back bigger then ever.

Sorry to hear about your losses. As far as the weather being nasty in that are ai understand as you know I am a internet tech for insight broadband and our other main call center besides where I am at is in springfield and they were shut down because of power issues, and phone issues. We have been taking their calls. We have been getting calls from all over the state since last night with major issues. Our center has a generator going now and people sleeping over night in the center because of the problems. Hope all can be fixed.

We just got our (InsightBroadband)internet working again from the storm so you beat me to posting Scott. It was a really dark drive through Sherman tonight. No lights until the stop at Bruns Lane. I'm glad you have family close by to stay with. There are a lot of people who don't and are going to try and stick it out without power or heat.

If you want, I can post some pics for you. I am going to try and take some here tonight.

Whenever you're ready to rebuild let me know and we'll have you back up in no time!

Scott,

Really sad to hear about your mega and spiral trees! That was some ice storm we weathered. I'm sure you will get it all going after the thaw or at least something in it's place. I made it through with only3 -50ct sections of icicle light outs...so i'm not to complain. We have @ 200,000 without power here in St. Louis & suburbs. FortunatelyI'm not one of them!

What a mess!

Steve:?

Scott... I was doing what ever juju I could to keep the ice storm from destroying your display. I wish I could of done more. I hope (and cant wait) till you are backup and running. I know it wont be long.

If there is anything I can do (I knowI am in Alaska, but I can try) let me know!

Jeff in Alaska

I am sorry to hear this, Scott. It makes me sad to read about everyones displays being effected by the strom. Especially when something big gets destroyed.

Look on the bright side (haha, get it?) at least you have your computer on be able to come on PC!

Nice thing about laptops, they have battery backup. :devil:

Ashleigh

Sad to hear of this damage. :{

I was in this same storm. It appears we got hammered here in West County with 3 inches if ice and a couple "'s of snow. I was out from 2am to 4:30 am shoveling my steep drive before the ice could bond and listening to trees fall. Twice, I heard exposions.

I was lucky. A big limb fell as I watched in amazment and missed my Ferris Wheel by half a foot. An explosion in the next block took out power there.

Damage here looks like two 6 ft. trees are dark. They may just have come loose from the outlet. The plane prop isn't lit. 1/2 of a deer is dark. One big limb in the yard but missed everything. Motorized items are still off by choice. I can't negotiate my yard in this ice since it is a big hill, so fixing is a bit away.

We haven't had this kind of ice storm since Dec. 1989, when we had 5 inches of sleet. It's going to be a while before all this melts.

Wow, that's really sad to hear about all that damage, didn't realize there was such bad weather going on up there. Got a lot colder down here, went from 75 yesterday to about 50 today, but still sunny. Obviously some major kind of cold front to drop our temps that far that fast, but really, really sorry to hear about your major damage Scott. Hope you have power back by now, don't need to add freezing to all the other sorrow.

Hope you can get some or all of your display restored-I'd be over to help if you weren't a 1000 miles away!

God Bless your family and keep you all safe and warm.

Brent

Scott Loftus wrote:

Last night during the ice/snow storm, My display took a major hit.

My pride and joy- the mega tree has been totally destroyed due to all the ice on it.

I also had a 12 ft spiral tree that is in about 20 pieces.

ALot of trees down and we are still without power. Power has been out since 4am yesterday. It was getting a little cold in the house, so we are now staying with family on the west side of Springfield until power can be restored. I have several photos of the ice, but since this is not my computer, I did not bring the camera along. As soon as I can, I will upload the photos. But I will say this.....

Hey Scott,

Sorry to hear about the damage! I can sure understand the damage from ice. There was an ice storm here a few years ago that took out power for a lot of the city and suroundingareas. Electric crews from other states came in to help. Some people were without power for as much as2 weeks. Most people had power in a little under a week. The ice really did a lot of damage to trees. There were limbs piled up everywhere.

Hang in there and stay warm! Hopefully the power will be on soon and you can get the display going again.

TED

I'm sorry to hear that Scott, i pulled into my driveway in buffalo and the 50mph winds had my arch bending down to where i could touch the highest point, barely clearing the van, with a 6" piece of mud hanging off the end of my anchor, but with the changes in the arch design you told me to do it made it as of this morning! i tied two supports from the rear to my utility trailer and kept it from going the other way, my mini trees kept going down and there all in standing water but OK! good luck to all who suffered damage!

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear about your display. My mega-tree is something I'm really proud of, and I would probably be upset if something happened to it. Hopefully, you can get yours up and running again for the season. I'm glad you and your family are okay. We'll say a prayer for you.

Here in the east (Philadelphia) we had some pretty strong winds. The mega-tree held but the light strings were shifted even with the tie wraps. The only casualty was my 2-D peanuts lighted yard art. It basically became a kite. In addition it was causing a short which was tripping the breaker for controller2. We relocated it to a safer place (the garage-unplugged). The weather is supposed to clear for the weekend so we'll probably reposition today.

Glad this storm is over....for everybody!

Take care,

Sally

Scott, sorry to hear aboutyour display. I work for the electric co. here in Wichita and was hoping the ice would miss us. It iced a little onWednesday, no sticking to trees or power lines though, and snowed about 6" on Thurs. We sent about 120 people from our utility up to Springfield and I heard maybe up into Illinois they told them to pack for a week plus. I hope things get back up soon. We had a major ice storm 2 tears ago and power was out for a little over 2 weeks for some people. We worked 17 hrs a day for almost a month getting things back to normal.

Good luck, Dave

Scott, you'll be back up and running in no time. I'm glad to hear you have a warm place to stay until they get the power up again. We got slammed with ice first and then topped out with about a foot of snow here. As most of my display isn't even up, the only damage we have is one of the swags got too heavy and came down - I don't know if its toast or not. But now with the snow, my display this year is going to be pretty tiny.:(

Thank You for for the nice comments and replys. We are back home now after 24 hours of no power. As for the display. It will be down for 3 days for repairs. Yes- Xavierlights will rise again. These pictures were taken yesterday-since then, the mega tree is gone now. The new pole will be here on Sunday. Here are some pictures of the damage.

Mega tree, or what used to be a mega tree. More like a mega pile of lights now.

post-87-129570981964_thumb.jpg