How many lights on a sunsetter flag/mega tree?

I set up a 20' sunsetter flagpole this year as a base for my mega tree. It currently has 4800 minis on it. (and a star on top) The lights areraised with a system of 8 pulleys on the top wood donut. I can increase the number of pulleys easily. It is "guyed" at the top and middle joint with 150lb cord in 4 directions, anchored into existing, mature trees. The base is well set in concrete in fairly stiff clay soil. And the telescoping joints are reinforced with those plumbing sleeves shown in Tim Fischers video. (great job Tim and I'm glad that this year you have a more up-to date picture of your beautiful family).

Naturally, I want more lights next year. I'm wondering how many lights others might have on their sunsetter based mega tree.The pole itself is fairly light, but seems quite strong. What would be the practical limit? I am guessing that if I can prevent the "telescoping pins" from failing, and put enough guy wires on toensure that it doesn't sway, I could probably get a "lot" more on,But what doothers have?

I have 6,000 lights on mine this year and it's my first year having a mega tree.

I've seen some others with around 15,000.. not sure if it's the sunsetter pole or if it is just a regular 20ft pole without a base.

Next year I'm hoping to double the amount of lights on mine.

Ashleigh

I'm in the same boat. I've got a sunsetter as well and have also wondered what the limitations are for such a pole. I've only got 3600 on it now, but would like to double that for next year which I don't think would be a problem as long as it is properly guyed. As far as the max amount for a telescoping pole, I would say that anything over 10,000 minis is probably pushing it. But thats just my opinion.

This year we have 5400, plus a rope star (probably another 100, plus 12 mini-strobes going down the pole. For the past2 seasons we had all but the mini-strobes...

We use the "hoist it up" method and can't add much more weight since it's getting to hard to lift up. If you used pulleys, I'd think you could do some more. I'm thinking 10,000 would be more than you'd want on this pole.

I was always going to expand ours further (After the first season we expanded it by 900 lights, mainly to ease programming (12 slices vs 10). But I figure it looks nice now, and I'd rather spend the energy/funds on other parts of the display. Our first LOR season the Mega-Tree was most of our sync'ed display -- now it's still a big part, but there's much more too...

-Tim

Guest XmasSkoz

I have 19,800 lights on a 25' pole. 14,400 are actually hanging from the top, 600 make up the star at top, and the rest make up the base. I raised the pole, placed 1/4" bolts throuhg each section (in order to take the tension off of the pins) and then mounted 8 pulleys at the top in order to pull my 9 quadrants (or would it be octants?) up the pole. I've then got a set of guy wires at the top and a set midway up. There is ALOT of weight on this thing.

XmasSkoz wrote:

I have 19,800 lights on a 25' pole. 14,400 are actually hanging from the top, 600 make up the star at top, and the rest make up the base. I raised the pole, placed 1/4" bolts throuhg each section (in order to take the tension off of the pins) and then mounted 8 pulleys at the top in order to pull my 9 quadrants (or would it be octants?) up the pole. I've then got a set of guy wires at the top and a set midway up. There is ALOT of weight on this thing.

Holy cow, how many years have you been doing your tree with that kind of weight onthat pole? I don't have a sunsetter, but do have a similar telescoping pole. This year is the first with it and we have 6400 for the strands and another 150 for the star plus about ~15lbs for the star. When I first thought of doing the tree I was really hopeing to double it next year so about 13k but man the 6550 is alot of weight on its own. I watched the video with Tim and his wife and she must have some guns on those arms because there we two of us men, both pretty fit and man it was tough.

JR V wrote:

Iwatched the video with Tim and his wife and she must have some guns on those arms because there we two of us men, both pretty fit and man it was tough.

She'll surprise ya! She works out regularly with both weight and aerobic training, so she can hold her own...

-Tim

Frank

In my opinion if you get much more than 6500, your gonna be pushing it. Not only is the weight becoming a factor but your wind load is going to go up as well. Then ...since your in NJ you need to figure worst case...with a possible ICE LOAD.

That recent storm that came through the midwest...sure took out a lot of "mega Trees"

chris03852 wrote:

what is this video everyone is talking about?

You'll find a link to it at the bottom of this page.

It's a video I shot last year during setup, of Cathy and I putting up the Mega-Tree. I always have a lot of people ask me different details about its construction, so I thought shooting a video would help answer some of the questions of it, and also show some of its simplicity vs. other methods people use.

-Tim

I've been running 7200 lights plus a star on top for several years now. My problem is with the pipe clamps that Tim suggested. With that much weight the rubber clamps seem to slip down about an inch over the season. Next year I'm going to try the Bolt Through the flag pole Idea.

Can someone post or PM me a photo of the pully system? That sounds much easier than lifting a foot, tighten clip, lift a foot, tighten clamp, repeat method I've been useing.