Upt o 19,000 lights, mostly LEDS, with Mega Tree here's some photos

I was up until 2am last night adding more lights, so far I am up to 19,000 lights 90% of which are LED including the rope lights.

Here's a few shots so far. Should have first animation ready this weekend for 80 channels. My 5th LOR box finally shipped. That was what held everything up!

post-2688-129570982523_thumb.jpg

AWESOME! :waycool:

LEDs must not be too bad down there pricewise. Up here a 100 count strand is $16.00 Can. I can't imagine doing my whole display in LEDs. Maybe when the price comes down a bit more.

Your display looks great though!

Merry Christmas, Indeed.

-Evan

That's about what they are here too. But I got lucky at Home Depot, the reds and greens M5 were $6 for 50, or $12 for 100 if you plug 2 together, which is what I'm doing for my mega tree.

The LED snowflakes were $20 at Target, I have $300 in snow flakes on my roof!

The LED net lights on my palm trees are $20, and I have 4 on each tree, blue and white.

The 1200 white LEDs on my mega tree were $12 per box of 100 from Costco. They were th eonly place I saw who had 100 lights, everyone else was 70 lights. BUT.. costco's LEDS were 6" apart ona 50 foot string. Not dense enough when you want a nice filled in look on a mega tree.

Also, Costco's white LED rope lights are THE BEST OF ALL!

They are spaced 1" apart and are whiter than white. Target's are spaced 2" apart, and are dimmer, and look more like a light gray than abright white color like Costco's.

There won't be any of those snow flakes left. They are only available at Super Targets, not the smaller Targets. I wiped out both Super Targets in our area of all LED net lights, and all Snowflakes. Started buying them in September, and just took everything they had.

Very nice job on the display Jeff.

Have you noticed that LED ropelight has a slight directionality to it?

End on in one direction it's brighter than the in the other direction, due to the horizontal positioning of the LEDs.

One question. Where did you get that great garage door covering? I have seen others, but none that include a Santa's workshop theme. I assume it is held in place with spring tensioned cords so that the garage door can raise?

Greg

Greg:

I won that awesome garage door mural on eBay for $199:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250044320330

It's really cool, it's a 7 feet x 16 feet vinyl sheet about as thick as a FEMA tarp.It clips on to the top and bottom of the garage door, with a about a half dozen clips topside and bottom. Your door opens an closes like normal with the mural attached.

It only took my wife and I 10 minutes to install it. It's a real big hit here in the neighborhood. Still looking for "affordable" white LED floodlights. That's a paradox isn't it!

Thanks Jeff, that certainly is a beauty.

I emailed the manufacturer asking him how well the colors will hold up, given the snow/ice/etc we get up here. Will see what he says.

It is too beautiful to pass up, if it will hold up to our Northern winters.

Thanks very much for sharing!

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

Thanks Jeff, that certainly is a beauty.

I emailed the manufacturer asking him how well the colors will hold up, given the snow/ice/etc we get up here. Will see what he says.

It is too beautiful to pass up, if it will hold up to our Northern winters.

Thanks very much for sharing!

Greg

Let us know what they say about the northern winters. Do you have the address or name of the manufacturer? I would like to check them out.

Thanks

Peggy

Guest Jeff_Womack

jeffostroff wrote:

Greg:

I won that awesome garage door mural on eBay for $199:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250044320330

It's really cool, it's a 7 feet x 16 feet vinyl sheet about as thick as a FEMA tarp.It clips on to the top and bottom of the garage door, with a about a half dozen clips topside and bottom. Your door opens an closes like normal with the mural attached.

It only took my wife and I 10 minutes to install it. It's a real big hit here in the neighborhood. Still looking for "affordable" white LED floodlights. That's a paradox isn't it!

So your's is vinyl and not laminated? The ones from 3M are laminated. Greg, I think they will probably hold up. The guy is from Colorado and the extreme temp variations throghout the day and the extreme UV issues in Colorado would have killed the idea by now.

Jeff

BTW, The Sun-Sentinel was out last night taking pictures of my Display. They were pretty mesmerized and the MEGA tree is not even done yet. I just finished my 8 LED mini tree last night at midinight!

They were asking questions about the LED power, utility bills, etc. Then I sent them on a tagent, talking about my 80 channels of lighting control. That will keep them busy. As far as I know, no one else in Fort Lauderdale area is doing this.

jeffostroff wrote:

Yes, they do make a single door mural.

They still have some single door murals left.

Unfortunately they are sold out of the double (2 car door) versions.

He never answered my questions as to how the vinyl would hold up here in the Buffalo, NY area with our snow and ice, nor did he answer how well it would resist fading in direct sun.

Will try again next season..

Greg