Remember the Griswold "Kitty"?

I've had several acts of 'vandalism' lately but the police won't do anything about it ... the neighborhood bunny patrol has decided that they want to travel thru my yard and they will NOT be delayed by jumping over my lights ... it is much better to eat your way thru them?!?

Over the last three nights I've have lost the same strand of lights (as a fence) twice. That's 900 lights ... as they decided to munch several sections of each strand. Is there a simple solution to 'encourage' them to move the rabbit freeway? I've heard that spreading used cat litter will work but that leaves an ugly picture as we've gotten so much snow here ... piles and piles of wet smelly litter come spring. :{My neighbor might tolerate/appreciate the lights, but that might be a little too much.

Any suggestions .......

Whatever you do, DO NOT use mothballs. They can be highly toxic to humans when in high concentration, and toxic to other wildlife in small concentrations. There is no Research indicating that they work! Unfortunatley, the only proven method of keeping them out is hardware cloth (exclusion).

Even other 'supposed' deterents such as urine, human hair and other such ideas don't work.

I'm a Master Gardener, and in the training I went through, they had somebody from the DNR and a Wildlife Control company come in and that's what they told us. Just make sure what you're dealing with is actually a rabbit.

I would recommend calling your local Extension office, and asking them what the best course of action would be.

Well you could trycovering the wire that they are eating in clear packing tape...Rabbits don't usually like the sticky felling it leavesor the crisp feel of the tape.

Black Pepper sprinkled on the wires and on the ground...they don't care for the smell of it and you should have that on hand.

Cayenne Pepper will work as they don't like the taste of it, but you have to be very very careful (gosh I am starting to sound like Elmer Fudd) when trying to trick those wascally wabbits. If there are cats about...don't use it. What happens isif a cat walks by and gets the cayenne onit's feet it will of courseclean/lick it off. It's a cat, that's what it does. If the Cat gets the cayenne in its eyes, it will burnthem and cats have beenknown to scratch their eyes outfrom the burning sensation.

They sayonce you use black or cayennepepper they never come back... yeah right...not as long as the pepper is there but first good rain and you will have to put it down again.

I used black pepper on my flowers this year...no rabbits munching away...they left my flowers alone for the grass and clover but I did have to get out there rightafter itrained. Cats also didn't come near my flower garden.

Go to the cupboard and get some black pepperout...sprinkle it about. See if it works...black pepper will not hurt anything, like your grass,if it doesn't work no problem.Won't hurt thebunnies as they won't come near with the smell..little noses twitch and pick up the scent.If that doesn't work then maybe try the tape but the tape will take longer to do in the 1st place and will make the cords look shiny.

Oh and the pepper unlike the kitty litter, justdisappears in the rain.

I've been afraid for the past 3 or 4 years that I'm going to have 2 Griswold kitties. The only problem I've ever had with animals eating lights is indoors, where my two cats roam. I've never caught them in the act, but each year I lose several strings of lights. Our tree starts the season untouchably bright, and gets progressively darker nightly until by the time we take it down in early-mid January (yes, we've been known to be lazy inside), it's no brighter than a diminuitive star lightyears away, hanging in the night sky.

Our City Hall had installed LED lights on 10 trees about 50 feet in height. They formed a walk way up to the main entrance.

Well they had an invasion of one squirrel - well one we know of. He/she bit into the powered LED lights and shorted the wire out. Next thing you know the tree is smoking and starts on fire. The fire department arrives and puts out the fire.

Nine trees left and still time till the season ends.

Kevin

ps I don't believe the squirrel was trying to make a political statement but he gave his life for his cause.

scorpion wrote:

Kenny,

Ever have one or your cats climb the tree, and have the tree topple over?

We had to stop using our fake tree last year becuase our cats would sleep in the tree. The weight of there bodies would bend the branches so we had to straighten them back. Well sort of, they didn't exactly straighten, our tree had a bunch of branches that started to have a wave effect.

Oh well, at least we have pictures of the cats in the tree. Funny to look back on. Its funner now to go cut down our own tree anyways. Just got it up last night.

JR

Kenny,

I have a book that says to use vinegar to keep the cats away...so try rubbing that on your wires and I would imagine you are smart enough to unplug the lights first. Might not work but then again it might.

Or maybe you could mist the tree with vinegar if it is not a live tree, the smell dissipates and is not noticeable to us but is to kitty. I wouldn't use it on a live tree asvinegar might dry it out.

Over the weekend I made a trip up to Washington to see two of my older daughters. They have a beautiful tree in their front room and a cat that likes to climb up inside the tree where it falls asleep. I thought it was kind of cute.... until the thing came tumbling out of the tree.

While on that same trip my wife was left home to take care of the light display. Okay, she had to stay home because she couldn't get away from work, but she did take care of the lights for me. She called Sunday night in a panic because there was a dead kitten on our front lawn, right out in plain sight. She had the unfortunate task of removing the deceased cute little critter before the throng of nightly guests started to arrive. I asked my wife to look real close to make sure the kitty hadn't somehow been electrocuted or strangled by lights. From what we can tell the poor little thing just froze to death. It appeared to be one of the several wild cats that sometimes wanders into our yard from the field.

Marty,

I do think your wife went above and beyond the call of duty for removing a dead kitten.

If that were me I would have probably put a bottomless box wrapped as a present over it to make it look like part of the display until someone else was around to remove it...cause I just can picture picking up a dead kitty. UhUh...no way.

Then again imagine the surprise someone would have had if they had lifted up the box.

scorpion wrote:

Kenny,

Ever have one or your cats climb the tree, and have the tree topple over?

In the past, one of our cats that has passed away did this, though the tree didn't topple.

We couldn't find her anywhere for a couple of hours. When we did find her, she was about 3/4 of the way up the tree, in the middle, asleep!:laughing:

And we never could keep her out of it after that!

Thanks, Mary Jayne, for the vinegar ideas. I might try that out this year. Though I must say, I've got a pretty good nose for vinegar, even when I'm stuffed up!

Kenny,

Years ago, a close family friend brought a present for our cat. It was a beautiful

ornament! In to the tree it went. We placed it in front of the tree, so our friend

would see it when she came over. We learned the hard way that it had catnip in

it! We were supposed to attach it to her scratching post! Oooooops!