Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'snow'.
Found 2 results
Hi all, I wasn't sure where to post this - not strictly a Christmas Village, however it is "part" of a Christmas Village! The metal and glass lanterns were purchased locally - I initially wanted the square-base type but they delivered the wrong type and were the rectangular versions, but decided to keep them and work around the scene layout. The porcelain building is a miniature collectable from the Lilliput Lane series called "Christmas Cake"; wasn't cheap, but I wanted something with really good detail that would fit comfortably in the lantern. The figures are Preiser HO 1/87 scale (Travellers Winter Clothing #14038) - they seemed the closest size match to the Lilliput Lane building and figure. The HO scale lamp posts were bought at the local model store - I swapped the 12v incan rice bulbs for 3v warm LEDs, to run off 2x AA 1.5v batteries - the switched battery case was taked from a dead set of LED battery-powered string lights. The rest of scene was scratch-built from things lying around the workshop - extra info: the base is 10mm polystyrene sheet cut to the lantern base size, terrain shaped with a soldering iron, painted with white PVA, and dusted with bicarbonate of soda and hairspray. The "snow" effect turned out really well and fits well with the snow on the Lilliput Lane building. a cut-out was made in the polystyrene to accomodate the building footprint. the street lamps were attached and wired, running the wires under the polystyrene. Bicarb "snow" was added to the tops, fixed with hairspray. I later glued some 3mm rigid foam board under the polystyrene to give it strength and also hide the wiring. It also hleped keeping the loose bicarb infill in the small gap between the builing and polystyreme. the fir tree was made from sisal string and wire, twisted in a drill to form a bottle-brush and trimmed into a fir tree shape; sprayed Hunter Green and added some foliage using fine sawdust - sprayed green again; added the "snow" on the branches using bicarb in a shaker bottle and hairspray. The tree trunk was made from a suitable diameter wooden skewer cut and shaped to size. I used some used dried-out tea leaves for under the fir tree. the figures were added last. All in all it turned out really well. I'm going to use a smaller Lilliput Lane building I have for my second snow scene - starting on this one over the weekend. Enjoy the pictures and happy to answer any questions.